FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 01:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Replacing fuel tank on FC ute  (Read 2464 times)
paddockbasher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2004, 04:28:28 AM »

Just replaced the fuel tank on my FC ute. The engine now doesn't appear to be drawing fuel. Is it necessary to fill/prime the fuel line for the fuel pump to work?

If so;do you fill by disconnecting at the fuel pump inlet?

Any help gratefully received.
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 09:52:57 AM »

I strongly suggest that you blow compressed air through the fuel line from the engine end... the line is clogged most likely and rust and scale is the most likely culprit. Also did you use any silicone? If so it may be getting through into the fuel line and swelling. Checking your fuel pump is the most obvious place to start, but still blow some air through anyhow to clear the line . Leave your fuel cap off for this operation and be  aware that fuel may spray from the tanks filler neck.....Be aware also  that if you choose not to stick with the limitations of your fuel tank as far as rust and dents go that there is an alternative... My FC ute is fitted with one of my stainless tanks that we are selling that are a direct replacement for an original - this gives a 58 litre capacity and is a bolt in operation with no mods required.  Cost is at present $695  for the whole deal  and includes new sender - matched to your guage and all mounting hardware is supplied . However  if you decide to stick with your original then follow the above advise and you will be OK .. Cheers streetneat.....  Cool
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 09:55:58 AM by streetneat » Logged

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 10:04:43 AM »

If the tank and lines are clear, the fuel will flow by cranking the engine.  You can clear the lines as suggested and check that they are working by raising the rear of the vehicle.  Petrol should flow out of the flexible pipe after you have undone it from the fuel pump under gravity.

Ken
paddockbasher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 08:14:34 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. I did blow compressed air through the line into the tank but will try elevating the back and see what happens. The outlet from the tank is not at the extreme bottom so maybe I will fill the tank completely to assist the process.

Probably will end up a candidate for the stainless steel tank replacement.
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 09:52:15 PM »

Had a similar problem when we put a new motor
     in a mates FC. Was running fine before we took it
     out.Would not suck petrol up found rubber perished
      in braided hose, sucking air, so i suggest checking
     fuel line connections. so if it was running before
     tank swap try this.    

cheers Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: