FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 09:27:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: door handles  (Read 2607 times)
Phantom

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2004, 03:41:42 AM »

G'day all, After replacing all but the drivers door window and door handles, i removed the window winder on the drivers door then tried to remove the door handle, spent about half an hour trying to dislodge the clip, i couldn't even get the tool in to move the clip, i have summised that the previous owner has araldyted the bloody handle on, any one got any suggestions on how to remove it, without damaging the trim?
                  cheers  Rusty        

Bogans rule
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 04:07:12 AM »

I had a similar experience with my last EK and had to drill out the handle (in a circle around the centre so as to leave the spline untouched) with a small diametre bit and then break the handle off so I could see to clean out the rest of the spline with a small die grinding bit attached to the drill.  Make sure you drill lots of holes at close proximity to each other so that you do not place undue stress on the spline when you break off the handle. Needless to say you need to have a replacement handle!

Mike
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 04:40:10 AM »

A piece of MDF and a claw hammer? try prying it off like pulling out a nail. Maybe give it a good whack or two first to "crack" the glue.

If you are resigned to losing the door handle, drill a small hole or three in a line at the top of the handle and use a cold chisel or strong screwdriver to split the handle around the spline.

Never done it before myself, so I can't guarantee it will work.

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 05:41:31 AM »

Thanks guys, i sorta had it in mind to drill holes in the handle, i have a cuppla spares anyway, so i will give it  a go
                        Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 01:00:20 AM »

gday rusty
this probably wont help.......i couldnt get the spring clip off my door handle...after a while & some frustration...found the clip had been put on back to front.... took two seconds
then i had to get the window regulator out . followed instructions in manual  but it wouldnt fit between glass and door panel......after a while & some more frustration...found it came out easy if you roll it towards front of car &downwards....took two seconds

surferboy Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 06:43:06 AM »

Surferboy, thanks for the tip, the reason i am tsaking the door handle off is to replace the window regulator, thanks again.
                             Rusty

Bogans rule
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: