FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:03:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Online Photo Storage / Albums  (Read 3242 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: April 18, 2004, 11:15:51 PM »

Hi All
I was sick of starphoto's and have now taken the plunge and gone over to Photobucket (Thanks Alex). I find it much easier to use and now have a filing system.

If your sick of the hastles with starphoto try dumping your photos into http://photobucket.com

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »

just gave it a go and seems very easy so far,
thanks

truncatus

pictures of car shows

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 06:03:18 AM »

Another alternative is to get a .com domain and a hosting package.

A domain and a hosting package with enough space for a handful of pictures would be around $140/yr.  Depends on who you host with really.  

Of course, more space would cost more but hosting you own site means you either don't have to have adverts plastered all over the site.  Another option is to have adverts that you get paid for.  It may not earn a truckload but could offset the price of the hosting a little.

There is some good software out there to manage the gallery itself.  I use Gallery from this mob, http://gallery.sourceforge.net/.  

Just my 2cents worth.

Pictures of car shows - MyBarina.com
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 02:56:22 PM »

Hi FC0058,

I feel the same about Starphoto, too bl##dy slow and having to many problems.

I have been trying to register with Photobucket for 2 days  now after reading one of Alex's posts but I am not receiving the activation e-mail.

I have sent them an e-mail my self to see if I'm stuffing something up ? "time will tell".

I think it looks a beater option and for free as well !!  Smiley

Steve.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 02:58:45 PM by digger » Logged
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 03:19:54 PM »

FC0058,

Had a look see at your site, looks cool  Cool

Well done !!
Steve.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 01:01:11 AM »

It's worth remembering that your ISP gives you somewhere between 5 and 10MB of free space for 'your own home-page' etc etc.  You've already paid for it, so you might as well use it.  It's also way faster than StarPhoto because it's local (in Australia or possibly the Shaky Isles), rather than Japan or USA or wherever...

If you go to your ISP's home-page, you'll find somewhere a "Support" link that will give you all the details on how you FTP files to their server etc.  For example, with OptusNet (who I use)
Server: members.optusnet.com.au
Username: your-login
Password: your-password

Then you FTP the files up to the server, using something like CuteFTP (PC) or RBrowserLite (MacOSX).  If you upload a file called myiconpic.jpg, it's URL will be http://members.optusnet.com.au/~your-login/myiconpic.jpg

Simple as that.  The server-names and whether the tilde "~" is necessary varies from ISP to ISP, but the semantics are the same.  Do it once, and you've got it mastered.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Digger

Classic not Plastic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 12:24:01 PM »

Hi Ret,

I am with optus net myself and started a web site on your recommendation and it works fine THANK YOU. Wink Kiss

Just have to upload some pic's.

Steve !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: