FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My Fe....not so special  (Read 20352 times)
torana/mad

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »

Well i guess i should say hi to all and show you why i have been asking some question that you have been asked many times over (i hope) and really thanks for the help, wouldnt have got the back seat out without it or would have broken something trying  Grin

So this is my 1956 fe (not so special) and my first pre 1970s car and as i have been stuck in the 70s for 8-9years with torana's i thought i would make a change (well still have one my hatchback lx) and get something older with a bit more style. The idea is to fix the rust and quick paintjob same stock colours but with flat paint so it still has that old faded look and a few period changes to the grey, lower it 2-3" and get some whitewalls. Keep it basic i guess.

As things happen will add pictures, thanks guys

Ash

Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of FEs and FCs Ash Grin

That's the FE I spotted down at Engadine a few months ago....

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,11279.0.html

Good luck with it...!! I'm looking forward to seeing Eddie back on the road Wink

Cheers
Les...

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:47 PM »

Hi Ash' Mate that car is SPECIAL it's a Holden from the 50s when you get it on the road .You will feel special welcome aboard ......FC427........ 

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:53:40 AM »

Hi Ash
First of all welcome to the family. I should warn you that you will soon develop a very all consuming "OCD" there is no name for this disorder so I just call it GMH-D.

Looks like you have picked yourself up a nice car and a good starting point. Good luck, have fun bring "Eddie" back to life.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:08:58 PM »

Small world i guess and yeah will be a shame to paint as eddie might have to come off. Also when i say not special as you would guess its just the state the body is in though i dont really think its that bad and to me it really is special i knew as soon as i looked at it.

Funny thing was i didnt know about it and if it wasnt for my mate that does my engine work i wouldnt have found her so this car is as much his as mine and i think he would have taken it home if i didnt, said he had seen this fe parked out the front of an ultra tune and i had just sold my daily driver so i was looking for a new toy anyways he said it did move now and then and i thought i would give them a call so as it turns out it wasnt his but the guys next to him and they passed me on to him and he said he would sell so i took a drive down with ned and that was that.

Tell you the drive home was fun, im sure the brakes are locked on or something from sitting around and just getting on the captain cooks bridge and cutting out, started again and then cut aging just coming over the hill, i roll down past the first set of lights to find out the fuel filter blocked with rust anyways we split the line and hooked up a 2L juice bottle in the engine bay and got it home.
Was also told engine was rebuilt at some stage though rust problems and i think carb is a bit how you going also front end was redone and i have to say coming from someone that has always had torana's it doesnt steer as bad as i thought it would other then a slight pull to the left but yeah i had a ball getting back.

Just thought i would put a pic up of the daily driver oh and its not a 3300   Wink

Thanks guys
Ash
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 05:49:38 AM »

Good story Ash.

Have fun with Eddie, all these old cars have stories.

If I remember correctly, that bonnet extension was part of a special country kit, it was needed to clear the oil bath air cleaner. If you take it off it'll probably run better  Grin

Cheers
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 06:32:10 PM »

Guys im after a panelbeater to do the rust work on the car(plated/skins not bog) and a quick paint (outside only same colours but non gloss) im in sydney east maroubra area, also good if its fairly quick turn around. Dont mind if its not east but would like to get someone that wants to work on an old car as most dont that i have found.

Thanks guys
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 08:42:50 AM »

Ash,

Good to see more old Holdens popping up on the east side.
I'm over in Malabar.
how much rust has she got?
floors, sills, lower doors, subframe??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
sexyfc

John greco
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

Welcome buddy,
im new here to, my FC has been in our family for 20 years and finally after all that time im getting into the old girl..
Have fun fixing her up!!
john

Grin

Project started 16/01/08.
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 08:42:48 PM »

Hey Ed i have seen you getting around the area and your wagon looks great (well from what little i have seen Grin,

well it has rust in both lefthand side doors thats gone up the skin and rear into the inside, alittle in drivers on inside of the door, sills both sides but doesnt look like its on the inside from under the car left isnt that bad but right is up near wheel well where the guards fold up and can hold dirt/water and its gone up into/under scuff plate alittle, bootlid along most of the lower edge, alittle in front windscreen on left side, right side of bonnet up front and has gone into second skin, floor pan in front edges next to apillers and on right side its gone into the subframe, rear 1/4s both sides on the underside and bits of surface here and there

Now i think i have got most of it or that i have found anyways and i may make it sound like alot but to me in the flesh its not that bad but im no panel beater, though one i talked to said most of it where it is you can get skins for but fitting isnt as easy as it sounds.

I also have a hatchback thats at a beater in dulwich hill but he cant take it on for 6+ months from the sound of it and he tends to go a little over the top and thats not what im after, have also talked to a guy in botany thats a mate of a family friend and he sorta sounded like he would do it but then i got the feeling he changed his mind and said he doesnt want to do a resto but thats not what i want as its going to be my daily plust i want a flatish finish on the paint so its got that faded look still. Would also like to find someone that would take it soonish and have it for a few months if possible but it may be pushing it.

Well sorry about the lengthy post and i hope i made some sense
Thanks,
Ash
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »

Hey Ash,

SOunds familiar  Roll Eyes

I had an EK wagon once which sat a panel shop for 9 months with nothing done.... at that point I decided to buy myself a welder.

Ive Pm'd you some options

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »

Sorry Ed but i didnt get it and yeah same deal with my hatch, was told it would take a month or two but now going on 7months but must say they have looked after me and doing a killer job for what i think is fair money but its still a race car at the end of the day.
Any help/ideas welcome thanks mate,

Ash
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 06:02:45 PM »

stuff the beaters.why wait when you can have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
i'm a metal fabricator.i'm not far from you.
doesn't sound like much rust but it is always worse than ya think
so be ready for it
pm sent

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
retro

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »

mate nice car and welcome to internet addiction.

Panel beater at merrylands,.....m and h smash. 96827717, speak to matthew, and tell him wayne with the lumley rectification job (fb holden) sent u down.

I have seen some if their work on early fjs that are in another club im in, and also they advertise in some of the clubs newletters, they are not shy to touch old cars, and i hear the quotes are honest, but you make your own judgements.
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »

Her Retro and thanks for the info but as it turns out a few people off here offered a hand to help make the repairs needed and one not been far at all from myplace and i cant pass up learning to weld and how to repair this sort of thing, though i understand at any time this changes.

And have talked to the guy that normaly does my panel work who just couldnt fit it in but will paint it at some stage down the line. So i guess the plan is to do the rust fix a few things and get rego and enjoy, cant wait to get started.
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »

Sorry just wanted to add that i started pulling bumpers and chrome work off and unfortunately broke two tabs off an otherwise perfect special bage on the LH side, but RH was missing a few to start with was a shame as i was trying to be as carefull as possible but locking clips didnt want to budge  Embarrassed

Just wondering what should be used when time comes to refit?

Thanks guys.
torana/mad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 12:41:17 PM »

Just thought i would put up a picture to let you guys know where im at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: