FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Princess of Tasmania.  (Read 10961 times)
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2004, 11:43:15 AM »

Loading up cars below deck on the Princess of Tasmania. circa 1959.

National archives pic.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:57:04 PM by customFC » Logged

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 03:56:43 AM »

Gee they've got the 48-215 working hard going up the ramp!!  I'm guessing that's an FC standard on the left of photo, but I wonder why it's got straps hanging off the over riders??

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 04:58:07 AM »

Also, I didn't realise FC's or FE's for that matter, had colour coded Headlight surrounds......cause they don't look chromed to me !
Mark
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 05:30:49 AM »

When first released, FC utes and panel-vans had painted head-light and tail-light rims, and even painted grilles.  According to the sales brochures, standard sedans and business sedans still had chrome items.  (Both my sales brochures are dated 4/58.)

They were pretty unpopular, and were often changed by dealers even before the cars were sold.  Eventually I think they were deleted entirely by GM-H.

FEs - the more elegant vehicle Kiss - always had chrome headlights, tail-lights and grille.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 05:39:19 AM »

Thanks for the history lesson RET...it's always good to learn more about these cars.....funny though...painting head light surrounds and grilles in  body colour, would have been almost a head of it's time in those chrome filled days.

I guess it makes sense that the FE's had all chrome bits and pieces on them......they had nothing else going for them in the looks dept !

OOOOoooooh   AAAAaah  ....that will get me in trouble !

What do they say.......Sh*t before the Shovel.......oh somebody stop me, I'm gonna get kicked of the site at this rate !

Sorry people....just had to try and inject some humour, albeit a warped sense of humour !

I love any old Holden...FX, FJ, FC, FB, EK, EJ, EH and so on,..........Oops, there I go again !

Keep smiling

Mark

Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 06:20:11 AM »

Why did they make the fe for longer period then the fc because they were in high demand and had to wait longer than the fc. So that should prove that the fe was more popular.
WAYNE
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 06:20:39 AM »

Just ignoring all that rubbish about the FE having nothing going for it in the looks department, here's a pic from the FC ute and van sales brochure that shows the painted grille and head-lights.

There's also a good photo IIRC in the book "Australia's Own" that shows the same thing.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 06:38:29 AM »

Actually Wayne, you're not helping.

FE sold 155,161 units in 21 months (7400/mth)
FC sold 171,924 units in 19 months (9000/mth)

However, for the first two months FEs were only manufactured at one of the three factories, whilst the other two assembled them and manufactured FJ utes and vans.  So if you take that into consideration the per month number of FEs is more like 7900.  But even that ignores the fact that FE utes and van weren't made until Feb '57, and it was utes and vans we were talking about, wasn't it? Roll Eyes

In any case, you like grey cars so your opinion is suspect to begin with Tongue

We might as well have the grey-is-not-a-colour flame war at the same time as the FE-versus-FC one...  This thread has been well and truly hijacked anyway.

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 06:40:07 AM by ret » Logged

Blown_FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 06:49:25 AM »

Gee RET..I don't know about hi-jacked.....it was you that planted the seed, with your "FE's - the more elegant vehicle " speel.

You opened the gate my friend...I just walked through it.

Thanks for having a sense of humour...it's Friday afterall !

Cheers

Mark
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 09:46:47 AM »

Hi All.
There is an FC ute down here that has the painted headlight surrounds & the painted grille. The only things chromed are the bumpers.
It was a council vehicle in the Brighton municipality for 3 years, then the current owner purchased it. He still drives it on a weekly basis to get his shopping. Did I mention he is 89 years old?
It looks great.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 09:50:04 AM »

OK I'm willing to bite on this one. It is Friday after all and the weekend is nearly here.
Here is my unbiased (OK biased) look at FE and FC.

The FE was the Finest Example whilst the FC was a Fair Copy !

The highlights of the FE are the mini headlights used as indicators which are a styling triumph.
The interior uses the pressed panel in the upper door frame to continue into a very stylish door trim. This just doesn't work on the FC and looks wrong.  The FE seats have by far the better pattern with a wonderfully creative 2 tone effect. The FC has a fairly plain colour on the bottom with a black top.  GMH tried to tart it up a little later with embossing but it never improved much.

What about the full circle horn ring - the FC ring looks like it is broken.
Don't even start with which car has the better bonnet emblem.  FC tried to fix this with the grille badge, but you had to pay extra for what was standard on the FE.
Boot badge - FE strongly identified with "HOLDEN" and "SPECIAL" across the boot - Gone on FC
What about the script in the front guard stripe - once again gone on FC. Same goes for the front number plate surround.
I'll conceed the FC had some nice American styling with the chrome stripes and fins, but all this pales into submission when weighed up against the finest automobile ever made by GMH Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ken
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 10:00:52 AM »

and not even painting them grey or corsair tan could spoil them. Grin and whoever heard of an fc with a detroit flash? Grin Grin

denis
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 11:32:28 AM »

Hear,Hear, Ken & Denis. Here's to the Finest Ever Holden made! They strap the cars down on the ships to stop them moving around on the trip.
Colin

colt
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2004, 12:05:55 PM »

HMMMM notice how it's always the 'FE" boys that jump all over these FE v's FC debates........must be due to an inferiority complex.

As this thread started out on a boat, wouldn't you say we've experienced a mutiny, or perhaps it's been taken over by PIRATES!!

Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: March 13, 2004, 12:10:03 PM by custom_fc » Logged

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2004, 12:15:34 PM »

nice pic anyway alex     keep digging them up!!
 incidently    i have a painted grill hanging in the shed...they dont suffer from pitting ,so come up very well when chromed
              cheers   trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 01:03:11 AM »

Great pictures shame about the waffle about the FE. Anyone with any taste at all will know that the FC is a vastly superior vehicle and i agree that all you here from the asteemed FE owners is how great they are, us Quality FC owners dont need to talk about it we already know the answer as did 50% of the Australian motoring public.
Brett

Brett Gillard
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2004, 10:48:02 PM »

Well I am disgusted at the way in which this thread has been HI-JACKED.
    It was not that long ago that My-self & a couple of other where getting a rap across the knuckles from Ret, and the rest of you with your anonymous names voting that we should stop this HI- Jacking of threads.
    Now tell me what has the FE- FC debate got to do with the original post.
    Since that lovely poll I have been very careful as to what I have posted and when. So has EMU and we hardly ever hear from Kiwi any more.
    Now I come on-line and read this. It would seem it's ok for you all when it suits you's. Did you's note vote that it was not a site for Humour or Hi-Jacking?.
    Please Make up your minds, As I like visiting this forum But I would like to know what rule's apply to who. Along with who decides what HI-JACKING is Compared to HUMOUR. To me these double standards need to be Addressed. If you are going to set rule's then abide by them, If you are going to complain about others Dont give other cause to complain about you for doing the same thing.

One pissed Sarge.

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 01:16:27 AM »

Whoa there Mark.

I thought the net result of that whole fracas a couple of weeks ago was that
banter was OK - like everything, in moderation.  I don't believe this thread
runs contrary to that, and not just because I've participated in it.

If you re-read the thread, nearly every post has advanced the discussion in some way by introducing or arguing something relevant.  It may have drifted from the original topic, but that frequently happens.

There is a crucial distinction regarding hijacking that needs to be taken into consideration here.  Generally speaking, "hijacking" is a problem when someone starts a thread with a legitimate question (or a For Sale item), and the on-topic responses are lost amongst the off-topic ones.  

However given that this thread is just a posting of a picture for people to appreciate, it stands alone and requires no analysis or response.  The original poster was not seeking feed-back, information or help.  So the purpose of the original post in the thread is not devalued by the subsequent discussion.  In other words, once you've looked at the picture, whether you choose to follow the drifting discussion from then on is up to you.  This is in contrast to posts in the Technical or For Sale areas, where there is a serious purpose requiring feed-back, and trying to follow that feed-back is complicated by off-topic discussion.

And just to get further off-topic, the FE versus FC thing is a completely partisan and on the whole, meaningless debate.  However, it is all good fun, and given that this is the FE-FC Holden discussion forum, it is a topic that has and can be expected to come up frequently.  It has been my experience that good natured rivalry between owners of one model and owners of the other is healthy for a club, and this forum is very much a club.  (When the schism is between the stockie owners and the hottie owners, then you've got trouble brewing...)

I make no apology for my initial 'always the more elegant vehicle' shot, nor
any of my subsequent responses.  Mixed in amongst the banter were relevant facts and opinions, that hopefully are of interest.  Similarly, Ken pointed out key cosmetic differences between the models, that was useful information, along with his preferences, which you can take or leave, just as you can mine.

If Alex feels his thread has been hijacked, he's quite at liberty to say so.  He's usually pretty forthright in his opinions.

cheers
RET

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 01:56:07 AM »

Ret
    May-be i did throw off a bit hard. It just seems to me that a topic should be what the original post was about. Is this not what all the fuss was about not so long ago. May-be I am just getting petty in my old age. Alex does post a lot of great photos. So lets just get back to that shall we. Perhaps you could even remove my last dummy spit as it was a bit over the top. I just dont like being spanked for something that other seem to do and have it excepted. Smiley Either way it's a great photo and as for all this fuss over which is better FE - FC who care. If you own a FE then Thats just fine. If you own a FC just keep looking for a FE.

Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 02:42:59 AM »

Mark,

Like I said before, there were more FCs produced than FEs.  We're outnumbered, and we've got to stick together Grin  Can't have these late-model owners dividing and conquering...

cheers
RET

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: