FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 09, 2024, 10:32:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: nuts and bolts  (Read 4405 times)
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2004, 08:59:52 PM »

HI, just finished pulling grill out of FC and found half the self tapping screws were missing, the HR front end has no mounts for sway bar and when moving radiator forward they have just hacked out the metal with there bloody teeth by the looks of it  Cry ,
my question is where can i get those old self tappers from,? and also is there an easy fix for sway bar mounts?
thanks
nick

FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:45:29 PM »

Nick
       The front sway bar mounts under the chassis rails there should be a threaded hole & a slot that the mount slips in & bolts up as for the HR front end the bottom wishbone has the hole the the swaybar connecting rod bolts too. If the you mean that the mounts have been cut off the wishbone than you will have to make up a bracket to weld onto the wishbones as you do with a CRS front mounted rack & pinion set up.
As the self tappers how many do you need as I would have a few that I replaced with stainless bolts.
Glenn
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:22:29 PM by GLENN » Logged

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 10:11:40 PM »

the sway bar is there held by the rods to wish bones but the middle sits 2 or 3 inches from crossmember ,as for the self tappers that would be great if you could give me about a dozen,just email me with your details and i can send you a few dollars ,
reguards Nick

FC-V8

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 10:36:50 PM »

Nick
      Is the sway bar mounted to the chassis rails & if so has it been installed upside down on to the bars that bolt to wishbones? Send me a IM with your address & I will send them up to you. Don't worry about the few dollars put it towards the rebuild of the FC.
Glenn
« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 10:37:44 PM by GLENN » Logged

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 11:21:55 PM »

its a completly flat shape i.e.(if layed on ground no part sticks up)so cant be put in upside down,touches crossmember tongue runs about 1 inch from front body of car, thanks heaps for the bolts,
reguards Nick

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 08:42:08 AM »

Nick, look underneath the front subrame about 200 mm back from the front on both sides.
There should be a slot followed by a threaded hole.
This is where the sway bar mounts to.
You need to have the original FC sway bar mounting brackets (or FB through to HR are the same) as they are the only thing that will work.
It does not mount to the cross member tongue
Ken
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 09:28:15 AM »

the original mounts are still there and so is the clamps on sway bar and they miss slots by 2 inches so must be strange sway bar from something else that has been put on.

FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 09:42:16 PM »

Nick, you need to use an FB - EH sway bar with the HR front end as the FC one is a different width & the HR bottom arms have the mounting in a different spot. The HR sway bar has a curve which fouls on the FC front outrigger also. Chassis mountings are all in the same places tho'. The one on yours most probably hasn't been mounted properly because it's an FC bar and will be a bugger to fit up anywhere near where it's supposed to be.
The sway bars also have a top & bottom as the eyes on the end for the link to the bottom arm mounts are angled. If you mount it the wrong way, the bushes will chop out because of the severe angle. Looking at the bar ends the eye part will either be angled either up or down on the outside depending which way you mount it. This is one of the things I've managed to get wrong with just about every conversion I've done so I've had to remove & refit the right way around. Perhaps someone else can tell us whether the angle faces down or up on the outer side - I'll have to write it down next time.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »

thanks for that info,i will start chasing an eh sway bar.
thanks nick

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: