FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:19:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Fins  (Read 3844 times)
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »

I got a set of the rear 1/4 fins for the top of the 1/4 panel. Can anybody tell me the correct position of these as my car didnt have them before. When I put my hand up inside there is a thin blade like strip of steel running from the tail light and its about 150mm long. Any advice would be great.

Regards
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 04:41:35 AM »

Advice? Roll Eyes

It's an FE.  They don't have 'em.

On an FC shell you can see the sheet-metal join at the tops of the rear-quarters isn't neatly finished (lead-wiped, I think?) like on the FE, because it's covered by this fin.

If you want to fit them, best off having a look at an FC shell, or maybe someone here with one can give you the measurements for where the holes should be ...shudder... drilled.  Measure twice, cut once Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:59:50 AM »

Ret
    Simple if they where not fitted to FE's then they dont get fitted to this one. Its just that I like the look of them on the car and there is a FE getting around up this way with them fitted. They just seem to add that finishing touch. Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Sarge

0421 165 351
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 11:18:02 AM »

I have a copy of a letter from GMH telling dealers to promote extra sales by selling FE owners FC fins - dealers would fit them at the next service. Very clever.
Cosequently a lot of FE's ended up with them on.
I will try to publish in the next Vic newsletter.

Ken
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 11:25:14 AM »

Well may-be they will be fitted after all. Anybody got a templete for the fitting of these.

Regards
Sarge

0421 165 351
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 10:52:42 AM »

Sarge,
I have the fins off my FC at the moment due to a respray. I have some digital pics of the hole locations with a tape beside. You should be able to use these to accurately position the fin mounting holes.

PM me your email & i'll send them to you.

Regards,
Trevor B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 10:58:06 AM »

i was looking at the fins on my car today and noticed that the end tucks flush with tail light so if you lay the fin on its side with end up against the tail light hole,you should be able to see exactly where to drill Sarge

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 01:20:38 PM »

Sarge,
A few years ago I fitted a set to my lamented FC Van.  

1) Remove the studs (if you can).  

2) For ute, van & station-sedan owners, you need to trial fit & grind them so that they sit vertically on the top of the quarter panel.  

3) For the sedan boys and other body style fetishists, sit them on top of the quarter, in the correct spot (easy as they fit up against the tail light).  When satisfied that they are sitting correctly (no bootlid boys may need to repeat step 2 a few more times), carefully tilt over a few degrees then mark where the stud holes are on the quarter panel.  

4)  Measure the bottom of the chrome fin to find where the centres of the stud holes are relative to the face that butts up on the taillight body.

5) Transfer these measurements to the tops of the quarter panels, note any difference between these markings and those arrived at in step 3 above.   Ensure that these markings are on th ecentreline of the top of the quarter panel.

6) Repeat steps 3, 4 & 5 a few more times so that you are absotuley certain that the markings (for holes to be drilled) are in the correct places.

7)  After you are satisfied that you've marked the locatios for the holes properly, get a hammer & centrepunch and make suitable sized pops on the quarter panels.

Cool Gulp a couple of times and drill the holes.  

9)  Trial fit the fins, with studs fitted.  You'll notice that teh edges of the quarter panel pieces are folded vertically - quite neatly just where you've put your holes.

10) After cursing at finding out the second part of step 9 above, 'relieve' the flanges with whatever tools touv'e got.  I used a pair of pliers.  You might want to use something more, how do we say, 'delacte' for this job.

11)  Paint the edges of the holes to stop metal moth from laying eggs there.

12)  When the paint is dry, bolt the fins on and admire your handiwork.  I reckon that my van looked very good with the fins fitted, you ought to like the finished result on your car.

Cheers

Spinner

9)

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 02:06:59 PM »

spinner     you got any pics of ya van with the fins fitted?
                             cheers  trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: