FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:26:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: "Which way to go"  (Read 4448 times)
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2004, 11:09:01 AM »

Your thoughts please, as i dont know which way to go ! I am "okay" about the performance of my stock FC motor, but if i could wave a magic wand then sure I would like more grunt and a smmother box. change anything it would be to go for a 4 or 5 speed box. Through a friend i met up with an older guy like myself who ownes a modified FJ. On telling him my "likes / wishes" he said why not go for Black motor, 5 speed box, change the diff center and I will have a real nice "cruising car" for little additional cost. I know motors / boxes etc are an individual thing but whilst it all sounds great i just wonder if its all worth it including "all the changes needed" including engineers certificates. "I would welcome some comments !
Regards
Mick
craiga
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 12:09:48 PM »

G'Day Mick,

Come along to next weeks meeting and ask a few of the guys who have done this conversion. The "little additional cost" you mention is not all that little though.

Even by using second hand parts you would be looking at LEAST a few thousand dollars - HR disc brake front ends are around but the last one I saw fully rebuilt cost over $1000.00 in parts, add rear brake changes, the engine and box (not allowing for any reco-ing), changes to the floor pan, replacing the rear brakes, and an engineers including any body rust repairs and I'd reckon you'll EASILY spend a few grand or more.

Now those Jack Myers headers on eBay, a nice cam and some head work, multiple carbies, and a 3.55 or 3.36 diff replacement will set you back less than half of that and won't need engineering or any body mods.

Anyone else got any thoughts?Huh

Cheers,

Craig.
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 01:16:45 PM »

Hi Mick
    Is your FC pretty stock & in Ok nick , If it is , it would be a shame to modify it . Don't get me wrong , I've probably got the most "cut up & modified" car on the forum, but it was that way when I bought it . I think what Craig says is the way to go , because you can always restore it easily.
    Geesh , "Older guy like myself" , mate , 50+ we're just "matured hoons"  Grin

Norm  Smiley

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 11:12:07 PM »

Thanks guys, I will be there Tuesday night but you two have already confirmed the hesitation that was in my mind. Craig re the jack Myers headers, i have been bidding on these but are they realy worth it, i mean excuse my ignorance but i can buy "brand new "extractors" for $250.00 ?
Rgds
Mick
craiga
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 11:33:34 PM »

Mick,

It will be good to catch up again on Tuesday.

The Jack Myers headers would be nice because of their period nature but nobody, including me, would be suprised if you went with the new extractors. They'll still provide the horsepower increase you are seeking, so they are probably the choice. Like I said before, add the multiple carbies and some engine work and you've got yourself a good package - except the grey gearbox  :-/

But maybe someone could suggest a replacement that doesn't require floor mods?

Cheers,

Craig.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 07:42:16 AM »

Hi All.
The Jack Meyers headers on Ebay are mine, Mick. But if you are just after a bit of an improvement, go extractors. There is nothing like a set of Jack Meyers for that period warm up & they are bloody hard to find, but if you just want the "Go", & not the "Show", get extractors. You will still get a nice note & performance will improve.
Rob J
(4hammers)

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: