FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:34:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: this is my first fc  (Read 10718 times)
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2003, 12:17:10 AM »

first pic is back in may 2003 in a paddock with heaps of utes and such next series of pix are current ones with new front end new stud pattern new diff rack and pinion steering and motor goes in this weekend yaaaaa!
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 12:25:07 AM »

here is second pic
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 07:39:48 AM »

Looks COOL!!!
It's come along way since that first pic.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Alex

Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 10:29:17 AM »

FCGuy
Looking great,more details as a lot of progress from the padock to the shed photo. What running gear etc.
Another 'art work' rescued from the cockys
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 10:50:44 AM »

ive got heaps more pix just havent scanned them yet well its got at hz front discs commodre booster and mastercylinder disc brake commodore rear hr front end rear mounted steering rack with a standard vh commodre colum which was the right length to mate up with the rack even lines up with origina mounting points on dash bar one which is 5 mm out so i drilled a new hole and then place a thrid bolt down on the firewall as commodres have one down that way i did all the brake lines and everything so far myself its my first full ressurection so to speak its also getting a v8!!!! which im proud of! and the wheels are genuine momo status wheels which i had on my last car a vc brock! they looked cool on that but even better on my fc! as soon as i get more pix ill post sum ive only got one more scanned so ill post it then scan the rest ova the weekend!
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 11:30:26 AM »

Looking good FCGUY, I like the carton of cold next to the car. Great taste in cars & Beer. Look forward to more pic's

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 01:15:44 PM »

Hey FC Guy I hope you are aware that the stud pattern doesnt match commodore wheels .
If you run these wheels you will either break studs or not be able to remove the wheel from the hub  , Sorry to dampen your story but its only a matter of putting on some commodore disks which by memory will also bring your front wheel inboard a little due to the offset in the disk.

4 ¼" Pre HQ Holden & Torana
4 ¾ "HQ Holden / XJ6 Jaguar
120 mm BMW /6&8 Cyl Commodore
Lindsay58

Old Holden's keep holding on.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 10:43:36 AM »

fc guy  great work  have to replace steering column on my car for engineer which is a shortened fc with a collapseable one so keen to hear how the vh one went in  iam running a chev 327 with turbo 350 and ford 9inch   thanks lindsay 58
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 12:21:22 AM »

hey harko im aware of this and atm the wheels are a really good fit not to tight on the hubs and everything and there is no play in thestud area they arent under stresscause its not a tight fit so im just gunna be aware of what u said as i know it does happen but if it all works its cool otherwise ill just change the discs!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 03:48:11 AM »

Don't want to sound mean and nasty, but you prolly won't be so casual when one of those wheels goes AWOL and your shiny FC is heading for a guard-rail.
I would say it's not worth the risk. Compare the price of a re-drill or replacing the discs to another re-build.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 04:06:11 AM »

I'm with Stinky - that sounds like it should be on a T-shirt, doesn't it? Grin

The wheels aren't under stress because there's no weight in the car ATM.  Might be a very different story when you've got that heavy V8 under the bonnet and start cornering hard; that puts a lot of stress on the inside wheel...

Considering how much this rebuild exercise is going to cost you, why would you risk it?  A new set of discs is what - a coupla hundred bucks at most?  Sounds like money well spent to me.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 07:12:44 AM »

Harko, Ret you to Stinky
          Just out of interest Harko you stated that HQ studs are 4 3/4" which converts to 120.65mm. Commodore studs are 120mm. My question is does this really make a big problem? As I have VN Commodore disc brake rear end, HR disc front end with HQ disc and calipers. Motor is only 186 & celic 5spd. I have 215 x 65 x 14 on HQ rims. Is this a bad thing. For now you's have me worried. I await to hear from you guy's.

Regards
Mark

0421 165 351
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 09:08:17 AM »

No personal experience, but I have heard bad stories and people more qualified than me have stated to absolutely not mix these stud patterns.

I have also heard layman say it is a crock of shtit and they have never had a problem, yet.

When I hear an expert say that it is absolutely safe, then I will believe it.

Is it Ken that works at Hopper's Stoppers? Maybe he could shed some light?

HARKO
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 11:37:56 AM »

My thoughts exactly , Theres things you mess with and theres things that you dont mess with , A halfhearted approach when in the car game will eventuallu injure you , Try and reasess the situation , If commodore wheels where meant to be interchangeable there would be every second car running em or HQs running comm wheels.
And then long term if you do become involved in an accident we as a minority will cop the brunt of your actions through media , insurance etc, And if more people do the same thing it could lead to worse senarios like no club runs etc
Please dont be foolish.
Couple of weeks back a guy was telling me he got a flat in a HQ with comm rims and couldnt get the wheel off the car because the centre hub had locked itself into the rim so he had to heat the wheel up with an Oxy and use a custom made puller - he wasnt smiling like this   Grin
More like this  Lips sealed  :-/  Angry  Embarrassed
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2003, 03:40:38 AM »

yeah sounds like i should check it out its just ive had a hj stato with commodore wheels on it the front was a ok but the back locked on thats due to the different hub size but i got told by my wheel expert that as long as the center hub size was a nice fit not tight not loose just right then it wouldnt put too much stress on it but ill re ask him and if he says its ok ill see how it goes but i might just change the disc as the bearing sizes are the same! Grin Grin Grin
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2003, 08:54:19 AM »

FCGuy
Ask your 'Wheel Expert" if he will put it in writing on his company letterhead, then if the worst happens you or your grieving relatives may have someone to sue.Your insurance company won't be any help to you as they will have wiped you for performing an illegal modification.

The hub centre may be ok but it is the .65mm in the PCD that is pushing your wheel studs out of alignment and can cause them to snap.

If wheel expert says bull sh*t ask your insurance company, but get ready for a no more insurance.
I am sure also that your 'engineer' will not sign off on these wheels either.

Good Luck
John M

PS Sorry Sarge but I would be changing the front discs to Crummydore.

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2003, 09:16:47 AM »

just for some general info can anyone confirm that the commodore discs will fit straight onto hq type stub axels, and that the bearing sizes are the same?
And also which brake calipers do you use then?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 09:18:55 AM by sgo » Logged

Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2003, 10:02:28 PM »

Hi Guys
          Thanks now you got me sh*t scared of wheels fly off all over the place. Huh So I think I have the rear axles re-studed, as the HQ front disc's are fine becauce I am running HQ Mags. So the VN rear axles will have to go back to the diff shop and be re-studed to suit HQ as well. Sad
      I would like to thank you all for bringing this to my attenion, & for your quick response. As I would hate to have been cruise down the highway & have one of my rear wheels pass me. Shocked

Regards
Mark

0421 165 351
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2003, 02:41:53 AM »

This is the thread where the issue was discussed previously:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1049369641

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2003, 12:13:14 AM »

hi all just some info the commodre disc do fit u have to modify the lower control arm as well as use HZ PBR calibers with thesildes and all and thats it! so i just got myself a set im goin to put em on to b safe! and some further progress has occered i now have my motor and box in just fabricating some engine mounts atm will post some pix when its done! the chassis is in too! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: