FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:39:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ek ute problem  (Read 5466 times)
Nickers
« on: October 20, 2003, 09:12:35 AM »

Have been reading your site for some time now & have had gained so much info & the odd chuckle from doing so, I thought I would post a question for a problem I have with my EK ute restoration.

Can any members tell me what does the spare wheel clamp look like, how the spare wheel clamp is fitted as I have no bolts/springs etc, and I have a choice of 3 different clamps. I expect the FE/FC ute would be the same.
A good photo would be spot on

Thanks for any help & keep up the excellent site (far more active then any fb/ek site I know of)
Cheers Nick
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 09:22:27 AM »

Hi Nick
I can not help you with your question, I do not have a ute and I thought the spare just slotted in the hole and you close/lock the door.

Some one here should be able to answer your question. I only have one suggestion  Wink and that is trade in that EK and get yourself an FE or FC we all love them in here, and as you can see we like to talk about them alot and share our wealth of knowledge with each other.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
knickers
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 02:48:32 AM »

Lips sealed
strangley enough when I was young & silly I had an fc ex police car I wrote off & dumped. (which I now regret)
- if only I knew
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 03:38:33 AM »

FE FC & FB utes were all the same according to parts manual.  No picture, but part no. 7410071 if that's any use.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
knickers
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 08:28:47 AM »

thanks Shayne
ahhhh good, I have that clamp but do you know how is it bolted to the floor, there is a captured nut there so assume that all that is needed is a bolt
Nick
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 08:33:31 AM »

hi nick   dont listen to jim ..keep the ek & get an fc as well
real shame about the cop car
                         cheers trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 09:35:55 AM »

Hi.
There is a bolt which has a head on it, the same size as a wheel nut. You mount the bracket against the sparewheel, the lower part has a little notch that hangs slightly over the rear edge of the compartment, then you put the bolt through to that captured nut & use the double ended socket (Original one in your toolkit) & the prise bar to undo it or do it up.
The bolt has a fine thread & the captured nut is prone to the thread rusting out. Also, if you tossed the socket, it was impossible to use a wheel brace to undo the bolt. So most of the brackets were tossed. The wheel didn't move much anyway.
I would have posted a picture of the nut, but it went with the ute I just sold.
I do have a NOS bracket if you get stuck.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
knickers
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 02:18:59 AM »

thanx Rob,
what tool kit Huh, I wish,

yeah I thought the bracket sat flush on the compartment floor & because of that couldn't understand how that would work - but now I see the light.
I guess my next challenge is to find/buy a bolt to suit

Nick
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 08:20:30 AM »

The toolkit is a rare & beautiful thing. They are out there, but you have to look REALLY hard.

As for the bolt, you may want to ask ACE who also uses this forum, if he could post a picture of the bolt when his ute arrives.
Ask him really nicely & he may also send a bunch of his pretty red flowers (See his ute venetian post for explanation!!).
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2003, 12:28:33 PM »

Nick...heres a pic of  that bolt  you need
Hope you find one Smiley
Gary

« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 12:31:13 PM by FE_UTE » Logged

knickers
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 01:29:17 AM »

Gary you are a fair dinkum champion, but dont like my chances of finding one, I would think they would be as rare as rocking horse shit.
I'll try to get one made now I know what they look like

Nick
ehvan64

Give me a EH commercial vehicle anytime!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 06:14:10 PM »

Have a look at other models, you'll be surprised.

Some time ago, I was the EHCC of Victoria's car show at Albert Park and I noticed that there was an original EJ ute with a spare wheel clamp similar to the one in the picture, shown above.

I thought if this clamp was unique to EJ's and EH's or not, as I need it for EH van. I didnt think much of it until I took an original HR Special for a test drive one day and I noticed that the spare wheel clamp was identical to the one I saw at Albert Park. I then found quite a few on EJ's and EH's and HR's.

I think what happened is that Holden has made thousands of these clamps, and they carried them through their model ranges until they ran out of stock.

I might be wrong but worth a try.

Sean
NascoHunter
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 09:10:15 PM »

Yes you are wright on the ball. HR sedan fits.

Tony.
knickers
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 01:07:51 AM »

Sean do you mean the bolt is also the same as the HR sedan. as I have the clamp, just need the bolt
Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: