FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 08:54:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Casting marks on heads  (Read 1947 times)
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

Hi guys
Can any one tell me what the clock like casting on the rear of the grey motor heads means? Is it a foundry ID number,year of manufacture or head version number? The head on my FE shows the pointer at the 2 o'clock position.Just curious as to what it means,as no-one has been able to definatly tell me what it is for.Any body got any ideas?  Cheers  Tony
Ken
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

Tony,  There are three identification casting marks on the head, the first is a large single digit which is the year indicator, the second has a letter followed by a 2 or 3 digit number which is the batch number (you can actually see the screw heads in the casting showing that this was changed frequently. The last is a clock face with a moveable hand which I believe is the month indicator. I had a look at the 5 heads I have got here 3 say 2 o'clock, 1 says 12 o'clock and the other one says 4 o'clock.  Based on this I feel a little sceptical about a month indicator as I would expect a little more variability than what I have in my small sample size.  I will do a little more research on this and let you know.   Ken
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

Hi Ken,thanks for that. I've got an other head with a 5 on the clock.It's got the nos.  H5 4  then 1 near the thermo hole. Would that then make it a 1961 head as opposed to a 1951 ?
Ken McLean
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »

That's a very good question.  The only way I know how to tell a 1951  head from a 1961 head (and 1952 from 1962 etc) is that FX heads only had 1 water outlet in the top of the head, from the mid fifties (I think) GMH changed the head design to include 2 water outlets, 1 at the front & 1 at the back.  So if your "1" head has 1 outlet it would be 1951 or if it has 2 outlets it would be 1961.   Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: