FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 03:57:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: novice Q? : model & wagon advice.  (Read 4977 times)
tim
« on: September 26, 2003, 09:24:24 PM »

Hi

I'm a Holden/all cars novice.

I want to purchase a Holden Wagon (80's) & put in a reconditioned engine.

1)  What's the big diff between the models (Exec/SL/Berlina/Vacationer/etc) ?

2) Is any particular year or model bad/good?

3) Can anyone recommend a decent recon engine place in the Melbourne area?

Cheers & thanks for the advice.
Tim
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 10:01:40 PM »

Tim, I am by no means a car Guru, but I can tell you one thing...SL, EXEC, BELINA and so on are not models of holden, they are trim or luxury levels....here is my example..

MAKE = HOLDEN
MODEL = COMMODORE
TYPE / BODY = SEDAN, WAGON

Then you have your levels of luxury.....starting at entry level...

SL = Very Basic
EXECUTIVE = Good, Most sold level, comfortable
VACATIONER = Usually to finish a model run, so had a few more goodies, sometimes power font windows, special striping, ect ect
BERLINA = ENTRY LUXURY, Velour Trim, Nicer Head rests, arm rest, Map lights, ( Different Models varied )
CALAIS = From the VK onwards...LUXURY, aswell as the VK berlina included Electronic Injetion, Alloy Wheels, The top level Commodore.

As far as what year is best......it's personal choice.....some say never buy the first of any model due to teething problems, which in the case of commodores would be a VB (1979 / 1980 ), but then again, they were the very 1st commodores, and are hard to find in good condition, so are becoming more sought after.

If you are a Peter Brock fan, then ,maybe anything after a VK

Here is the list of Commodores for you !

VB - 1st Commodore 1979
VC - Cosmetic upgrade of VB
VH - Slightly new shape front and rear lights
VK - Cosmetic upgrade of VH 1985
VL - Last of the small shaped commodores, 1st with a all new Nissan 3 litre engine
VN - first of the new shaped bigger bubbley commodores
VP - cosmetic upgrapde of VN 1992/93
VR - New shaped front and rear ends 1994
VS - Cosmetic upgrade of VR 1995 / 96 / 97
VT - All new shape ( 3rd generation ) 1997 /98
VX - cosmetic upgrade of VT
VY - Current model

I'm in WA, so I can't recomend a shop for you....

Like I said, I'm no guru, and the story of commodores is a long one....good luck in your choice, there are millions of commodores around, so parts are plentiful !

Cheers

Mark

GOOD, Ha
craiga
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 10:16:32 PM »

have a look here...

http://www.sydneycommodoreconnection.org/

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 07:25:43 PM »

Hi Guys.

Just a few things to add to Marks post.

As the years went on the trim levels changed.

For VB there were 3 variations Commodore (most common), Commodore SL entry level luxury & the Commodore SL/E (with everything). But remember this was 1978/79 there was no such thing as cruise control or a CD player (both of which are standard now on the most basic fleet back ute).

The next model, VC, was a facelifted VB the main new thing was the 'Blue' motor. Also the base Commodore was rebadged the Commodore L, but the was the most popular model.

Next the VH (new front look, but no major mechanical improvements) saw the L renamed the SL, the middle level renamed the SL/X while the SL/E was still the top level, by late VH the SL/E had gained cruise & power windows standard (remember this was 20 years ago).

The VK (a heavily facelifted VH) in '84 saw name changes again, this time they were SL, Berlina (replacing the SL/X) & the Calais (replacing the SL/E). But new for VK was the Executive. This was probably the most popular VK. It was an SL in trim level, but with standard Auto, A/Cond & Power Steer (very popular with company fleets). Also in VK the engine lie-up was simplified 4 cyl. 2850 & 4.2 V8 dropped, 3.3 carby standard & 3.3 EFI or 5-Litre V8 optional. The Calais had the 3.3 EFI standard or V8 optional. All this applies to Australian models, export cars still had 4 cyl etc.

Next, the VL (final facelift of the old, smaller body) had the same levels as the VH, but now only 2 engines, the 3-Litre EFI (Nissan RB30E) or the 5-Litre V8 (unleaded carby). Once again the Executive was probably the most popular.

The '88 VN was an all-new much larger body with either 3.8 EFI V6 or 5.0 EFI V8. In terms of grunt, even though the VN was a bigger heavier car both these engines were rockets especially if you compare them to engines in the VB & VC. The VN badge line-up changed as well. The popular (base) model was the Executive but this time no longer had Auto & A/Cond standard. Power Steer & 4 wheel disc brakes were standard now for all Commodores, so the Executive badge took over the SLs position. Berlina & Calais were as for VK/VL. There was an SL in the VN series, these are a rare fleet only, very basic models, some even had no power steer. Ever seen a VN with no power steering ??

VN was upgraded to series 2 in mid '90 & upgraded again for '91 with the new smoother VP style motor. It was replaced by the VP in late '91. The VP was a facelift of the VN (same body) & was a better car all round.

Vacationers were limited production optioned up base models brought out for sale around October each year as a sort of Xmas vacation special package, but other than the options & stripes there was nothing special about them other than the initial buying price.

I'll stop the history lesson at VP because I noticed you were only asking about '80 Commodores.

Getting back to your question of what to buy. Don't bother buyng a car just to spend money on it for a replacement engine etc.
You didn't mention your budget, but these days, in Sydney at least, 4 to 5 grand buys a good going VP with no need for a new engine. (Less for a VN, but remember try not to buy the first of any model series) The VN/VP V6 are much easier on petrol than most earlier series too.

A reco engine job will cost you 2 grand & if you buy an earlier model you will be wasting a lot of time & money on it just to keep it on the road (unless you buy a well maintained car at a bargain price)

Hope I've answered you query.

Dr Terry.

craiga
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 09:02:08 PM »

Great response Dr Terry!

One thing I thought I should bring to the attention of FE owners is something from Terry's post

(Less for a VN, but remember try not to buy the first of any model series)[/i]

Mmmmmmm, anybody think they should sell their FE and buy an FC instead?

Wink Wink Wink

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 09:02:24 PM by craiga » Logged
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 11:55:38 PM »

Hi guys,
Craig makes a lot of sense here, because those of us in the know can confirm that FC's are definitely much better than FE's  Grin

Oops! Hope I haven't started something here Wink

Cheers,

Graham.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 11:26:59 AM »

... Oops! Hope I haven't started something here Wink ...

Yeah I bet you do Tongue

cheers
RET
(Proud September 1956 built FE owner!)

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 05:58:10 PM »

I'll second that  Smiley FE's rule  Wink
Proud owner of 4 FE's
Gary
tim
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 11:22:50 PM »

I've gotta say this has been the best place I have come across for advice.  I knew pretty much bugger all about the variations in Holden Wagons up until now.
Thank you for your detailed replies.  I now feel I have a better understanding of the ads I am looking at.
Cheers
Tim
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2003, 07:42:41 PM »

Graig
      I think you will find that this saying came about after the FE was made. This is because any-one who know's anything about Holden's, Know's the General only got it perfectly right once and that was the FE eara. Ever other model was only a mire shadow of the FE as this Perfection would never be repeated.  Grin

Regards
Mark   Tongue
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 07:44:02 PM by Sarge » Logged

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2003, 07:57:10 PM »

Craig,
"Tell him he's dreaming"
Wink Grin

Cheers,
Graham
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2003, 09:48:03 PM »

Graham
          This may - be but what a dream. FE's everwhere you turn. and not a ford to been seen. Arrrh paridise Grin

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: