FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Water Pump/Radiator Hoses  (Read 1822 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2024, 03:11:50 PM »

Hi Team

I set up the FC donk in the engine test stand, connected up all the hoses, filled the radiator and the water pump is leaking so I need to get another one before I can do any more testing. There are plenty of options on eBay and my sorces tell me that can still be purchased from Repco/SuperCrap. However, not sure what is cheinesium rubbish and what are quality parts - same for the hoses.

The threads related to this on the forum are not quite as old as the FC in the shed - but starting to get up there.

If you could impart some wisdom as to the best souce for water pumps and radiator hoses it would be greatly appreiated.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 12:03:27 PM »

Craig,

CH313 is the top hose, but I can only remember the number for an FJ bottom hose, which doesn't help.  The last bottom hose I bought for the FC said it was the same as for a TX Gemini (best to check).  Repco can get the hoses, but you need to tell them the part number because their databases don't go back that far.  Otherwise, Rare Spares.

Water pumps are a different matter.  You used to be able to get repair kits from places like Auto Surplus in Melbourne.  I have wondered about buying a red motor pump and raiding it for the bearing and seal.

Use caution with aftermarket grey motor water pumps.  In some cases, the bolt holes don't line up, and need enlarging.  The shaft sticks out too far at the front - cut it off flush with the hub.  And the hub subtly distorts the pulley.  If you have a Dremel, you need to grind four shallow slots into the hub to clear the pressed ribs in the pulley.  Or if you have a press and an original Holden water pump, swap the hubs over.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 01:32:02 PM »

Lower hose: Gates part number 05-0004,  Mackay part number CH313
Upper hose: Gates part number 05-0008, Mackay part number CH482

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 06:49:28 AM »

Craig ..Check with the supplier if the hose has a mesh fabric inner , moulded hose with mesh inner is superior to extruded rubber NO mesh , original had anti suction spring , dont know if that applies or even available any more ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:22:20 AM »

Craig,

CH313 is the top hose, but I can only remember the number for an FJ bottom hose, which doesn't help.  The last bottom hose I bought for the FC said it was the same as for a TX Gemini (best to check).  Repco can get the hoses, but you need to tell them the part number because their databases don't go back that far.  Otherwise, Rare Spares.

Water pumps are a different matter.  You used to be able to get repair kits from places like Auto Surplus in Melbourne.  I have wondered about buying a red motor pump and raiding it for the bearing and seal.

Use caution with aftermarket grey motor water pumps.  In some cases, the bolt holes don't line up, and need enlarging.  The shaft sticks out too far at the front - cut it off flush with the hub.  And the hub subtly distorts the pulley.  If you have a Dremel, you need to grind four shallow slots into the hub to clear the pressed ribs in the pulley.  Or if you have a press and an original Holden water pump, swap the hubs over.

Rob

Thanks for the heads up Rob,

I have three original water pumps that have good impellors etc - so if I can find repair kits I am good to go. I have searched previously with no luck but will have another crack.

Really appreciate the advice on fitting up the after market pumps - that is invaluable information that I will note in the workshop manual for future reference!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 08:24:33 AM »

Lower hose: Gates part number 05-0004,  Mackay part number CH313
Upper hose: Gates part number 05-0008, Mackay part number CH482

Cheers,
Harv

Thanks Harv,
I used the Gates hoses on the SS when I did the "upgrade" to her donk. They were pretty good quality.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 08:25:35 AM »

Craig ..Check with the supplier if the hose has a mesh fabric inner , moulded hose with mesh inner is superior to extruded rubber NO mesh , original had anti suction spring , dont know if that applies or even available any more ..Vern

Thanks Vern, I will check for that before I place an order.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: