FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:04:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Diff and Gearbox oil recommendations  (Read 1387 times)
Wasim

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2021, 07:47:52 PM »

G'Day,
        What is best oil to use for the diff and the best oil for the gearbox?

Cheers

South Australia
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 07:42:00 AM »

Wasim ..Given that if your diff and gear box are as close to stock standard as they can be ..The GMH service manual recommends for the transmission ( gear box )
SAE 90 Mineral gear oil ...For the rear axle ( ie the diff ) EP..SAE 90 Hypoid Mineral gear oil ...EP being extreme pressure ..NOTE !!! There is a warning ,with respect to the rear axle .." straight mineral oil gear lubricant must not be used " ...There is no advice that the reverse is unacceptable ..
My personal thoughts ...Back in the day there was not the choise of brands and many now promoting their particular additives and features ..I took note of the " higher grade oil being recommended for the rear axle " I have Penrite 120 Hypoid Gear Oil in both diff and box ..keep well Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 07:50:52 AM »

Wasim ..Further to my earlier posts ..Todays marketing of products is very helpful , full of technical facts and guidance for the enthuasist and blokes who like to do it right ..like BP's fuel marketing campaign last year , they want you to buy their product because " IT BUSTS DIRT "  ...WOW !! Just staggering advances in fossil fuels ..cheers Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: