FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:46:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GMH production line  (Read 1653 times)
texmorton

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »

G'day,

While trawling through info on the net researching various things for my FE restoration I came across an FE that was for sale on Grays Online a few months ago, build number 2241M, mine is 2236M. Both are exactly the same colour and interior trim combinations which leads me to the question of how cars were produced on the line back in the day. Did they batch build cars in the same colours to make life easier in the paint shop? And a related question regarding order of assembly, I assume the bodies were painted as as one unit with guards, doors, bonnet and boot fitted to the car? Currently contemplating this as I start bolting things onto my car; is it better to paint each panel off the car and bolt on or have everything on the car (with door jams, interiors etc already painted) and paint in one shot as I assume they did in the factory.

Al
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
+1

I have quite a bit of info on batching as they went down the line. Possibly a dozen or so all the same colour and same trim, but not fixed in concrete.
Cars were assembled and trimmed to the firewall and then either sent to another production line for completion in the same plant, or sent interstate or to NZ for completion.
Bodies were painted without any hang ons. The doors etc were all painted separately and were added at the very end of the line.
How you paint is up to the painter. They certainly were not done as one unit in the factory.
texmorton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »

Right oh, that explains it for me. Thanks Ken, very interesting. Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: