FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 03, 2024, 09:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Floor conversion  (Read 2052 times)
andykotzur

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2003, 08:45:43 AM »

I`m about to weld in a EK auto tunnel and floor pan into a mates FC. The pan size is from the firewall join, to the center floor join. Width is nearly from sill to sill.
Any ideas for stiffening the shell while welding, or any tricks to make it easier would be great.
Thanks
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 06:22:21 AM »

I don't think that there is an easy way Andy.

Are you trying for a seamless weld or are you planning to overlap the two panels?

I laid the top over the bottom and then using an air hacksaw cut the both pans for a matched fit and then tack welded as I went to end up with a seamless join... Well as good as I could get anyway.

Hope this helps
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 03:06:14 AM »

Andy,

I would probably temporarily weld in some RHS sill to sill in a diagonal fashion from each end of the opposing sills.

Unless you are adding additional strengthening I would also be inclined to overlap the weld by about an inch (where possible), since it is a mono shell.

Jason's van has added strength thru chassis for V6 conversion.

Just off topic for a moment...

If a strengthening bead is rolled into a panel but not from edge to edge.  Are the panel dimensions across it reduced when compared to the orginal unbeaded piece?

CHeers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: