FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:20:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front right hand brake  (Read 4136 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:07:10 PM »

I have forever had my front right hand brake lock on on , more so after a period of non use , or in cold weather . Here we go i hear some say . But I have done extensive work on my brake system everything refurbished,& I mean everything . When I last did a major work package on her i had the front linings done.now this may be the answer.being an idiot I took the brake shoes to be re lined & received the brakes back with full length linings . Now the workshop manual shows the front shoe ( primary ) as full length) .the rear shoe ,lining) as just over 6 inches as secondary. I or we have just about given up on it , so we cut the secondary lining down to a precautionary 7 in , in other words to near enough what it states in the workshop manual . And , fingers crossed I have only taken her out once since it was done & all was well . Mind you it’s the cold weather that starts it off . Hopefully it’s sorted . Mind you it was doing it in Toowoomba: &  Canberra.we will see . Cheers .John
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:09:50 PM »

Have you tried chamfering the leading edges of the linings John? This has been found to stop brakes grabbing on initial application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 07:45:06 AM »

I was plagued by the "cold grabbing" problem too. Mine was always the front left which grabbed, even after i had the brakes relined. The leading edge of the linings was champhered to about 45 deg by the brake place. Eventually I filed the edge off so that it was rounded, did it with the shoes in-situ, and that has solved my problem - no grabbing and it pulls up straight evey time hot or cold. Such a simple fix.  I used an ordinary coarse file. Cheers, Fraze
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 02:52:13 PM »

Thanks for replies ,Errol 62 & Fraze . Yes the linings have the chamfer on them.before we cut the secondary down in length the car had a tendency to pull right slightly , after the fix ( hopefully ) we drove down the road on a flat section & hands off steering wheel slammed the brakes on . I nearly ..it my self but she didn’t wander at all . It’s been quite hot in WA lately ,so I’ll not drive it for a few days & give it another go . Will keep you posted . Cheers .John BM
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 04:35:20 PM »

Fraze,

When you say "filed the edge off so that it was rounded", do you mean the outer edge of the linings?  The outer edge is easy to file with the shoes in place.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »

Hi Rob. I filed off the leading edge of each lining, although they had been champhered it was not enough so i more or less rounded off the leading edge, not by much, maybe 3 mm. radius, but it did the trick. Cheers, Fraze
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: