FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:41:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air Conditioning  (Read 2326 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »

I have put aircon., on side plates before using a bracket [adaptor ] from the water pump backing plate . I was asked last Sunday at a swap meet if I could put a compressor on the drivers side . The engine has the fuel pump blanked and runs electric fuel pump . So here is what I was thinking . If I was to weld enough extra plate on the edge of the plate behind the timing gears to attach another plate at right angles down the drivers side of the engine block and secure it at the fuel pump bolts and capture nuts to mount the compressor ,I could then use one long v-belt and the alternator [generator] tensioning bracket would adjust the tension . Anybody out there got any ideas? 
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

Kevin (old blu) on here has a grey motor ute running air con, not sure but I think the compressor is on the battery side

It would be great if someone could make up a bolt on kit for grey motor air con

Kev, show us your air con
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:26:39 AM »

These pics show the a/con set up as I purchased this ute.    The next post will show the restored version, [with some description of what is required].

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 10:16:26 AM »

The Compressor is still available. The under dash head unit was a period option on Toranas etc.
 It is a Commuter 1V model. Everything was working when I purchased this ute. The Harmonic balancer is a dual pulley. There is a tensioning pulley for the compressor, [which I will show in the next post].  I have also fitted a thermo fan in front of the grey radiator , with an under dash manual switch. I flick this on when using the a/con.  The grey drops a few revs when you switch it on, however, all is fine once you are on the road. One belt drives the original fan, the second drives the compressor. Both the compressor base plate & the tensioning pulley are attached to the head using longer bolts. The base plate has 3 locating holes that match up with those on the compressor.  This is not a "too hard basket" set up. The head unit has temp & fan speed adjusting knobs. It works well & if we decide to enter the Broken Hill Nats... this ute  will be there if anyone wants to have a more detailed inspection.  Kevin.

old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 10:37:12 AM »

pulley [fixed]. tensioning is achieved by loosening & re-tightening the compressor /base plate bolts.   Kevin.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 02:16:36 PM »

Looks “cool” Kev.   Cool

Ken

old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »

"Cool as" Ken. I have a correction on the fixing of the idler pulley. It is attached to a plate which has 2 locating holes... top 1 to the thermostat housing & the second to one of the water pump cover bolts.  The head bolts on the Driver's side are covered by the rocker cover  & not available  as an attachment point [for anything!!]. We all knew that didn't we?  Cheesy Kevin.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: