FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:44:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonic balancer oil leaks  (Read 5501 times)
ipg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 03:06:28 PM »

count the holes in the block and then count the holes in the timing cover
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »

There are two drain holes in the front main bearing cap, under the crank timing gear.

Let me do a search.  There must be pictures on the forum.

Here. (Courtesy FB-EK.)

OK, so the image size isn't quite as large as I'd hoped.

The upper bearing cap is the "early" type (FX-FE), and the lower front main bearing cap is the EK-EJ type with an extra bolt and repositioned drain holes.  The front engine plate was revised to at the same time as the front main bearing cap.

You have an EJ block, and I'm hoping you're using the EJ front engine mount plate also.  You just have to check that the drain holes are clear, and not filled up with Silastic or similar "sealant".

Stupid Question 2:  Do you have the timing gear lubrication fitting in place on your front engine mount plate?  It sticks out proud of the front engine mount plate maybe 20 mm, and has a screwdriver slot in the front and an oil hole in the side?  If it's not present, your oil pump will fill the timing case up with oil far faster than it can drain out.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »

Rob,

What model Holden's your motor in?  FX-FJ or FE-EJ?

There are a few ways that the front main bearing cap's oil return holes can be blocked:
- if you have a EJ motor in an FX-FJ, and use the "production" FX-FJ front engine plate.  GM-H released a revised FX-FJ front engine mount plate to cater for swapping a later engine into a Humpy.  Or,
- if you are unlucky enough to use a pre-May-1957 FE front engine mount plate on an EJ motor.

In both these cases, check the front engine plate's cutout for the crank timing gear.  If it's circular at the bottom, that's bad.  If it has a flat section, that's what you want.  And finally -

if your engine builder has used an early FX-FJ front engine plate gasket on your motor, the gasket will block the drain holes on an EJ block.  This is really unlikely, as the early, early gasket will require a lot of trimming.

If you're brave, you can run the engine without the harmonic balancer.  Does oil come pouring out of the front of the motor at idle?

A picture is worth a thousand words.  If you have to take the timing case off again, please take a photo of the front of the engine and post it.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »

Some more reading in the engine plate differences (with thanks to Rob for schooling me):

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23279&p=237750&hilit=Engine+plate+Harv#p237750

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: