FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:03:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: shed find last rego 1985  (Read 5343 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2020, 08:56:28 AM »
+1

A friend of mine here near me has just bought a FC Special sedan , Ivory / blue ..he has known about the car for years ,in a shed at Gunnedah ,all its life in one family ,46,000 miles ,all original ,last registered in 1985 ...he will do all the essentials for roadworthy ,and keep as is ...another lovely original Holden car ..cheers Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Patrick_R

Penrith NSW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 09:01:06 AM »

Awesome.

Any pics?
rio
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 11:45:12 AM »

Sounds like a beauty, Wish we could see it.
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »

Sounds brilliant.  You've got to love an original car.  It is hard to imagine how it can have done so few miles between 1958/9 and 1985, but if you don't drive it then that is possible.

It would be great to see it at Broken Hill for the Nationals at Easter 2022.

Cheers
David

Ps - PHOTOS!!!

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »

Photos Vern, you know the deal.

Dave
0417 270 315
Patrick_R

Penrith NSW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »

Yeah, c’mon Vern.
We are all drooling now  Tongue
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 09:19:38 PM »

Vern?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 06:40:45 AM »

ok , ok ,with his permission ,I'll get pics ....next few days ..Vern ..

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 06:58:18 AM »

Mmmm... Gunnedah. Lots of red dust in the sills, but nice dry storage. Should have little rust with some luck (unless it was parked under the Weir).

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 07:26:02 AM »

Harv ..he tells me he has had it on the hoist ,to firstly do brakes , find a noise in gear box ,he also said they are cleaning the underside ,with a view to proofing it ,and as yet haven't found any rust ,his wife remarked the hood lining is still like new ,she showed me the last rego paper from 1985 ,when I saw the engine number on the paper ,I remarked ,its had an engine change somewhere in its life ,because there is no letter " L " in front of the numbers , well he lit up ,big time , I know this B B F F car ,it all original ..well lets go have a look ...cleaned off the engine number pad , sure enough there is the letter " L " ..smack in front of the same numbers on the paper ..a typo ...could you just imagine RTA years ago ,or was it still DMR ? my recollections they were generally not very friendly ,I could imagine a officer asking for "engine number" ,so you give him the numbers only ,he didn't ask for any letters ..every car has a story ..Vern ..

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 08:49:43 AM »

,when I saw the engine number on the paper ,I remarked ,its had an engine change somewhere in its life ,because there is no letter " L " in front of the numbers , well he lit up ,big time , I know this B B F F car ,it all original ..well lets go have a look ...cleaned off the engine number pad , sure enough there is the letter " L " ..smack in front of the same numbers on the paper ..a typo ...could you just imagine RTA years ago ,or was it still DMR ? my recollections they were generally not very friendly ,I could imagine a officer asking for "engine number" ,so you give him the numbers only ,he didn't ask for any letters ..every car has a story ..Vern ..

As a roadworthy inspector I am obliged to check the engine (& chassis) numbers of each car as part of the inspection. On average we find a typo mistake on 1 in 10 cars inspected. As mentioned the mistake was usually made when the car was sold new & the mistake lives each time the rego is renewed. The actual reading was carried out at the rego offices at one time, meaning every new car had to be driven to the rego dept. for inspection prior to sale. In modern times it is now carried by somebody at the selling dealership. I don't think the percentage of typos or read errors has changed all that much.

You mention the RTA, it has changed its name so many times I'm almost lost. In NSW, up to around the mid-70s we had the DMR (dept. of main roads) & the DMT (dept. of motor transport) for rego & licensing etc. They merged to become the RTA (roads & traffic authority). In recent years this mob took on boats to become the RMS (roads & maritime services). They are now changing yet again, to the TfNSW (Transport for NSW). Seems to me consistent name changes are good business for the printing industry & the extra public servants required to put them into action.

Dr Terry
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 06:58:49 PM »

precisley Dr. Terry .will provide proof and rectify when rego is done ..Vern .

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:49 AM »

As a roadworthy inspector I am obliged to check the engine (& chassis) numbers of each car as part of the inspection. On average we find a typo mistake on 1 in 10 cars inspected. As mentioned the mistake was usually made when the car was sold new & the mistake lives each time the rego is renewed. The actual reading was carried out at the rego offices at one time, meaning every new car had to be driven to the rego dept. for inspection prior to sale. In modern times it is now carried by somebody at the selling dealership. I don't think the percentage of typos or read errors has changed all that much.

I miss the days of common sense.

I had the EK wagon engineered, and then blue slipped. Fronted up to the RMS, and queued up. The engineer had used the subframe number on his paperwork, whilst the blue slip inspector had used the aluminum firewall plate number. RMS pointed out the error, and could not understand that their are two different numbers on early Holdens. Offered to take the RMS person outside to take a look, and they can choose which number to use:

"Sorry, I can't go outside. I don't know what I am looking at"  Huh

Paperwork rejected, back out again for another blueslip. My dumb fault for not checking the paperwork in detail, but frustrating none the less. Didn't like my stat dec, so had to do that twice. Engine had apparantly once been stolen, and computer still showed it that way so more drama as the Police reconciled their records. Lots of queuing up each time with COVID on the run.

It was a looooooong day.

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »

Harv ..One day i'll tell you about the Toyota Hilux I bought , it was bought new ,never registered, and went to work on a large cotton/ cereal wheat property at Narrabri as a on property work vehicle , I bought it in a clearing sale ,that I was actually working at ,as a auctioneers penciller , it came up as a lot in the line up ,and no bids ,so I stuck my finger up ,and it was knocked down to me ,so here I am in Narrabri ,with two vehicles to get back to Sydney ,my daily drive and a $4,000 , 3 year old never registered Hilux diesel 4 door ute ..no back seat ,just a 44gal drum of diesel lying on its side set up as extra fuel tank ,and about 6'' of black soil on the entire floor , on removing the soil at Redline Machinery next day ,it contained ,spanners ,pliers, bullets , bullet cases,coins ,beer bottle tops ,bolts ,picker spindles, dog food tins ,so off to RTA for rego !!!!!!let the fun begin ,ill tell you some other time about that experience ..it goes a bit like this , when filling out the rego paperwork I asked the nearest bloke behind the counter the post code there, he said he didn't know , then the boss ,sent out a very attractive young lady in high heels ,10 o'clock in morning with a torch to check numbers .. stay well Vern ..

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 10:51:19 AM »
+1

Photos & comments from Vern .......
Sydney build car, body number 25104, Fountain Blue/India Ivory, Viscount Blue trim.

Dave
0417 270 315
Patrick_R

Penrith NSW

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

Wow,
What a find.

Great colour combo.
Ric
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »

That's one great find...thanks for sharing
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 11:06:02 AM »

All I can say is WOW
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:50 PM »

Nice n original thanks Vern and Dj. Floor looks a weee bit swampy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 06:29:55 AM »

Clay ..yes I thought the same when I took the images ,looks bit 'swampy " as you say, i guess he will be looking at that , its had a wash ,he has done the brakes ,you can see the brake master cylinder has been replaced ,and he said new shoes ,new water pump ,you can just see that in image ,and he has cleaned underbody and spray sealed it ,haven't seen that or know exacltly how he did that .he said he wants to give it a really good tidy up and polish and drive as is ,I did start it and its quite sweet ,he's had the gear box out also ,second gear problem ,i think it was , so there wont be a full resto story to follow ,but ill post some images when on road..cheers Vern ,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: