FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting roof lining and wind lace  (Read 1755 times)
Wookie 66
« on: October 20, 2020, 06:47:27 AM »

Good morning all

What is the best way to unflatten the roof lining tinny little annoying rail teeth ?
I’ve tried modifying a screwdriver or two but just can’t get the right angle worst job of the project

I’ve tried adding in piping cord but the teeth need to be raised for it to hold and not fall out.

I have an fc wagon the back is fine holds secure add the wind lacing to the forward section a pain in the backside

Any suggestions on how to speed this up without snapping any more teeth off

Cheers
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 07:04:33 AM »

wookie ..sounds like a problem ,if part of the grip rail opens out the whole lot should ,maybe some one replaced part of the lacing at some time and used a really strong glue ,any way ..I used a flat plastic kitchen scraper / server tool , kitchen section in supermarket ,all the little teeth you mentioned opened ok , I kept existing roof lining ,tricky part was scraping out old fabric of the old windlacing out,not causing any damage ,another good clean of the lining , the windlacing came from Daleys Motor Trimmers supplies here in Sydney . maybe this wont apply to you if your is different ,I wanted the lacing with the silver thread in it ,but it aint out there , the fabric section that tucks in I doubled it over ,little bit of contact adhesive and tucked it in ,pushing in the fold ,with thin plastic scraper and screwdriver when needed , gentle tap down of the teeth with a cork sanding block ...cheers Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:53 AM »

following
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 09:51:53 AM »

The workshop manual has a drawing for a retainer tooth straightening tool, but it looks like a job for a precision craftsman to make.  The dimensions of the hooked part are all-important to provide a smooth taper, so that the teeth don't catch and break off.

You might be able to fake the tool with a strip of 1.6 sheet (or maybe 1.6 stainless as it's harder) - file the tapered sections in first before bending the sheet over on itself.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Wookie 66
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:33:30 PM »

Thanks for the reply guys I’ll have another crack at it on the weekend might try making another tool as well

To make life easy I’ve upholstered the interior all black Seats roof lining door cards So the black windlacing is what I’ve used to

Lucky I know an Upholstery guy he lives in my shed other wise it’s expensive haha
Cheers
Trev

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: