FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:44:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Floor trans tunnel brace height  (Read 8302 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »

HI
I have a question on the floor trans tunnel brace or loop. Im using a Rodshop tunnel conversion and of course you have to replace or create a new inner tunnel floor brace.  I can easily work out the width to be the same as the floor tube. But not sure on the height. The original shrinks down as it gets to the top of the loop. I could just use that height and hope but I thought I would ask.   Im going to use a Trimatic so Im looking for a height that will work with the transmission.

I'm sure some one on the forum has it in the FC right now. Would love to hear what height they used.

Of course would love to do a test fit but that seems too far away right now.

I see Mal W produced his and has left it open for the transmission he is going to use.

Rodshop tunnel

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 10:19:15 PM »

Hi Cam,
What GMH did when they enlarged the tunnel in the EK Hydramatic bodies provides an insight to what is needed. The brace is smaller than the original, however additional strengthening is provided by extending the no 1 body member rearward each side of the tunnel. Here is a shot to demonstrate.
The rails also provide a mounting point for a rear engine mount crossmember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »

Errol shows exactly what I did as well with my trimatic. The joining piece not shown In Errol’s picture is actually on the other side of the floor and is about half the height of the metalwork below the floor. It is not square section either, it is hemispherical. I have a pic somewhere which I’ll look for.
Ken
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »

Thanks for the pics and the example. I think I have see you your talking about Ken.

What sort of distance did putting the EK floor in give to the transmission at the loop .Huh
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:31 PM »

G'day Cam,

You are welcome to come and take my car home and do your measuring, checking, etc etc....

Cheers, Graeme
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »

Hi Cam,
Measuring underneath, the auto tunnel sits 110mm above the floor pan at the loop, bearing in mind that the loop sits atop the tunnel.My manual floor car is at the trimmer so sorry I can’t provide a comparison, but it is quite a bit wider as well. Main reason I went this way was so I could use the reproduction floor mat from Obsolete Rubber and keep things looking factory.
Cheers,
Clay

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:56:10 AM »

G'day Cam,

You are welcome to come and take my car home and do your measuring, checking, etc etc....

Cheers, Graeme

Hey Graeme, So shit this Covid virus, I really wanted to come around earlier this year to see your beauty on the road with the visor.  What I  should do is get you to bring it over, either way that would be awesome to check it out . Even if I just came over to you, will let you know next time I'm coming over your way.

thanks Cam
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »

Hi Cam,
Measuring underneath, the auto tunnel sits 110mm above the floor pan at the loop, bearing in mind that the loop sits atop the tunnel.My manual floor car is at the trimmer so sorry I can’t provide a comparison, but it is quite a bit wider as well. Main reason I went this way was so I could use the reproduction floor mat from Obsolete Rubber and keep things looking factory.
Cheers,
Clay

Hi Clay Thanks for the information. Total get the carpet stagey, I have ready a few post on the carpet does not sit to well on the custom tunnels.

cheers Cam
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 09:41:18 AM »

Plenty of clearance Cam, I could fit my hand up and over the top of the Trimatic when it was fully installed
Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 09:46:54 AM »

Here’s the photos of my car

I actually put the entire front EK floor in from sill to sill so there were no joins in the floor pans.
Don’t tell anyone that I cut up a rust free EK Hydro shell to build this car!!!
Ken
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:52:25 AM by mcl1959 » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 09:49:32 AM »

You can see the rear trans mount bolts in the photos. These went through the support braces that Errol showed in his picture. They had a top plate which you can see and crush tubes inside.

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:25 PM »

Same with our standard FC wagon as Ken did
Left my car trailer at Parramatta wreckers in the morning on the way to work

They cut the whole floor out of nice  dusk plum and pink EK Hydra Wagon, and I picked it up on the way home

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 10:08:06 PM »

Evil pricks Cool

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 08:26:56 AM »

Ha good one Zulu, mine was one of those blue with a white roof EK’s that no one really likes, so was no great loss.

Lol

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »

Yes, I'm afraid pink doesn't cut it, although this one was cut Cry

To be fair though, back in the 80's I owned a Wedgwood blue ? with white roof EK Hydra wagon
As my daily driver and it served me well, all over Sydney & burbs, even a very slowww trip out to Weethalie with a car trailer to pick up an FE ute!

Ahh the memories
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 12:01:05 PM »

There aren't too many proper Holden's FX through HZ that I wouldn't consider worth preserving or modifying if they are viable propositions and I wouldn't write off a car because of the colour. In the past I've cut up and modified cars I now regret. Nothing to gloat about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »
+1

Love the Blue & White EK. Which in '63 was the Honeymoon Car......  fitted with Curtains & a TRIBOLET CAR BED.  Good times! Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 12:05:14 PM »

👍👍👍

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)