FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 17, 2024, 01:04:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear indicator globe holders  (Read 4393 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »

Looking at putting in separate indicator globes in the vacant hole in my FE Special , at the moment it’s running as original, stop ,light &indicator on the one double filament globe . I presume they may have been available as for a reversing light fitting ,the lower part of the plastic rear light on mine is white .the fitting would have to be for a single filament globe . I know rare spares sell something that will do the job ,but I would prefer the real thing. Just enquiring if anyone may have two for sale l/h & r/h . Photo shows the area & vacant hole . Cheers John

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:53:43 PM »

John,

What you're planning to do is upgrade your stop/tail/indicator wiring to "late '59" specification.  You'll need to buy the amber indicator lenses from Rare Spares.

I don't have the indicator wiring and sockets, but you could raid an FB or EK for the indicator wiring and lamp sockets.  Maybe if you got in touch with "Blacky" from the FB-EK forum - he's over your side and has lots of parts.

Be warned: although the changeover does not require any extra wires to be run to the rear of the car, there are a lot of connections to reassign, both at the indicator switch and inside the boot.  It's not a beginner-level task.

I can send you the wiring diagram from my EK shop manual (it'll be the one for FB/EK utes and vans), and write up an instruction list.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 05:18:01 PM »

That was quick , thanks Rob , I have a mate in the club who is very clued, & has done his car,& is going to do the job . He uses Narva orange globes , I’ll check on the legalities of it before doing anything .i have the orange lower pieces. I don’t mind doing things if it helps regarding safety , but I’m also mindful of not straying too far from the originality of the car . I’m not sure of blackys contact details, but I’ll get around that .that info ,would be good . Cheers John .
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:04:16 PM »

I’ve probably got a few globe holders here.
Ken
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 08:01:26 AM »

John ..I have done my car last year ,I followed instructions from Ken Mcl1959 on here ,I note he has already replied ,electrics is my weak point ,but I got it right first go,just had auto electrician put in the LED flasher canister ..Points to note may help you..first mine is 1958 FC which like yours at rear has clear lower lense doing nothing,I got globe holders out of a wagon in a paddock, I ran one extra wire only to rear ,didn't pull it thru roof ,took it under floor covering adjacent to scuff plates,got yellow LED globes for front blinker/ park as well ,works a treat ,my thoughts are in todays traffic people are not looking for a red blinking tail light as a flasher ,a lot are not looking at all ,so its a safety concern with me ,I spoke to the the guy at inspection station where I am going for certify and he has no problems with that set up..if you want more specific details I am happy to help ,Kens posts are under my cars resto thread ,and also get yourself copy of FB-EK wiring diagram..I will take a image of rear blinker operating for you and post on here ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »

Image from Vern .....

Dave
0417 270 315
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »

Thanks Ken , have sent You a PM .    Vern , thanks for your information re the indicators .very much appreciated . I am in contact with my mate who seems to be very confident in doing the work as he , like you has done the same on his car. If there are any problems I’ll direct him down Robs& your advice path . Your right about people behind seemingly oblivious to your indicators going , whenever I pull into my drive , I put my arm out like the old days , that confuses them even more LOL .  Cheers . John .
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »

John .re hand signal....In the museum at Fagan park we have a 1934 Chevrolet Truck ( restored by the inmates at Bathurst gaol and then donated to us ) it has a sliding mechanical hand signal ,mounted above drivers head on top of front glass , not the pivot type like on Inter pick ups, we always tell school tours that this mechanical turn/stop indicator was introduced because drivers where loosing arms, we hope its a deterrent/awareness to the practise of people driving around with arms out the window ..I don't know if was the safety based thing back then ,cause I can recall hand signals as a boy in '50 and 60's in cars anyway , the beautiful 1932 Leyland we have ,you couldn't have your hand out the window telling the world what you were hoping to do ,you needed both your hands and passenger helping to turn the bloody steering wheel ,but hydraulic brakes to save the day ...stay well Vern

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 10:39:36 AM »

John .re hand signal....In the museum at Fagan park we have a 1934 Chevrolet Truck ( restored by the inmates at Bathurst gaol and then donated to us ) it has a sliding mechanical hand signal ,mounted above drivers head on top of front glass , not the pivot type like on Inter pick ups, we always tell school tours that this mechanical turn/stop indicator was introduced because drivers where loosing arms, we hope its a deterrent/awareness to the practise of people driving around with arms out the window ..I don't know if was the safety based thing back then ,cause I can recall hand signals as a boy in '50 and 60's in cars anyway , the beautiful 1932 Leyland we have ,you couldn't have your hand out the window telling the world what you were hoping to do ,you needed both your hands and passenger helping to turn the bloody steering wheel ,but hydraulic brakes to save the day ...stay well Vern

Vern
Thought you were going to say it had a sliding mechanical tray underneath to smuggle prisoners out
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:44:05 AM »

No , no smugglers tray, least I don't think so ,i'll look next week ..one of the corrective services instructors who worked on the truck with inmates at Bathurst is one of our members ,he has some stories to tell ..Vern   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: