FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Indicator switch assembly  (Read 3452 times)
abletec

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2020, 09:43:18 PM »

I've a question for somone that has taken apart and reassembled a 6 wire indicator switch on an FC. I have 3 small ball bearings but cannot find where they go. I have the switch cleaned and back together without the balls and it seems to function mechanically though not tested electrically. Nine springs fitted. Do the balls go on the centre spring under each brass contact block? Should there be more than 3 balls? Thanks for any assistance.
abletec

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »

I can't believe that no one has ventured to cleaning and rebuilding an indicator switch! Very simple, just need to know where the balls fit in. Can find nothing on line for Holden or any other make for that matter. Unfortunately mine sprang apart before I could see the correct positions. Probably need to find another one somewhere. I might need to do a video when I can get it together..
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 04:28:28 PM »

Ok, so I was tempted to reply to your post When I saw it because I think the balls go in the bottom of the brass cups so that the springs sit on them.  But I’m not 100% sure
30 years ago I pulled one apart and springs and balls went everywhere. I said at the time I’m never doing that again.
So far I haven’t     Shocked
I’ve been lucky enough over the years to find quite a lot of NOS ones of these so I’ve never had to worry about cleaning/restoring them.
Doesn’t help much I guess. 

Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »

What Ken said pretty much exactly my experience. No need to dick with it so don’t. A lesson I learned early in my early holden fiddling career. I’ve pulled apart seat runners, steering boxes, speedos, regulators, carbies, diffs and quarter vents. But them pesky indicator switches have got me beat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
abletec

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:11 PM »

Thanks for your responses. The switch seems to be in good condition just in many pieces. I will try to put it back together. A job where you need 3 hands.
59wagon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »

Hi mate, I can’t remember what my FC switch looked like but I pulled the FB one apart a while ago. It may be different but you might get an idea of how it goes together from the pictures. There were 4 ball bearings that sat in grooves on the metal casting, then the plastic/Bakelite part goes on top, matching the grooves (arrowed in the photo). The bearings allow the switch to slide smoothly from side to side. Six springs then covered by the brass L-shaped bits, followed by the cover with the wires attached. Yes, you need to be an octopus to put it together.

Cheers, John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »

Always love your posts Bones very informative and detailed.
Neil
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 12:32:52 PM »

Ditto John and Neil. Was wondering if you’d pipe up on this after your confessions on the finny site. If anyone has the patience to get all those tiny wee bits back together it’s you mate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
abletec

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »

Hi John and others for your contributions. John your photos and description are very clear and make a lot of sense. I had managed to assemble the switch but don't think that I have got the 3 balls in the correct place after seeing your photos. Also the switch doesn't slid smoothly so I needed to back the screws off a bit. I have the 3 balls on top of the 3 centre springs (9 springs in all). Time to remove again and place the balls as per the photo.
Putting the switch back together is do-able but extra hands would have made it easier. I removed the switch entirely and assembled it while holding it like a sandwich. Then I wrapped insulation around both ends before screwing it in. I used solvent on the insulation tape while pulling it put while the screws were not fully in. We will need to learn these restoration tips when all new spare parts stock runs out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: