FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:31:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: gearbox inspection plate - floor  (Read 4306 times)
Roybeth

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2020, 10:07:32 PM »

Hi all

Is there a difference between the FB and FC plates.

My ute was missing hers when I got it but I thought I was right as we have a donor FB and so I took the plate out of it - looked pretty good. But went to fit it today and it doesn't sit quite right in the space and the holes do not line up with the ones in the ute floor.

Ive had a look at a couple of other ones for sale and they all say FE - EK and I'm wondering if they don't fit them all?
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 11:01:48 PM »

There are two types of covers, from memory one has eight holes and the other has ten.

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »

Yeah the car has 10 holes in the floor and the cover I have has 8 and also it doesn't quite fit in properly - a bit flatter on the left top side - its more of a gap than it looks in the pic.

gearbox inspection plate by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

Any one got a spare?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »

Helen,

That's an FX-FJ cover (let me go check).  Yes, it is.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »

Helen,

That's an FX-FJ cover (let me go check).  Yes, it is.

Rob

Nope - done some more head scratching and lining up this morning  - both the inspection plates I had were originally screwed in to two other donor cars - one was an FB and the other was an FC Ute. Couldn't figure out why on earth I thought it would screw straight in,  we still have the FB in the paddock so took a look today - it has the 10 holes, we have swapped them around with he FC which we no longer own (sorry to the fella that bought that one oops) - which must have had 8 holes originally.  As it came out of an FC Ute I didn't check it (wrist slap to me) and must have just assumed it would fit - yes this has been sitting in my box of parts for a while now before getting around to reinstalling it.

Second light bulb - the floor of my ute has a ding at the edge of the inspection plate hole and that is what is keeping the plate from sitting down properly.

So --- as fcwrangler said (I thought he was referring to differences in FB and FC) the FCs came out with either of 10 holes or 8 holes.

We reckon well be able to straighten the ding enough to get a better fit and drill new holes in the plate for the ones that don't line up with the floor nuts - loolks like at least half will line up already, so only need to fix the others.

I see how we go, thanks all
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:41 AM »

Respectfully disagree.  The bolt hole locations on the gearbox cover plate you photographed correspond exactly to those on my FX.  It is possible that the FX-FJ gearbox cover plate had been "fitted" to the FC ute.  More so if the FC ute had seen service on a farm.

Much easier to get another FE-EK cover.

Rob

Longman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

I have a sedan one in Newcastle you can have if you want it.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 11:18:16 AM »

When in doubt I always refer to the parts book
There are 3 different plates

FX FJ.   7402030.  8 screws
FE and half way through FC.   7408289.    8 screws
Late FC to EK.   7414656.    10 screws

Oh, and just to muddy the waters some more, the 8 hole variety have a smaller diameter self tapping screw than the 10 hole type which has a machine screw

Ken
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:24:05 AM by mcl1959 » Logged
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »

When in doubt I always refer to the parts book
There are 3 different plates

FX FJ.   7402030.  8 screws
FE and half way through FC.   7408289.    8 screws
Late FC to EK.   7414656.    10 screws

Oh, and just to muddy the waters some more, the 8 hole variety have a smaller diameter self tapping screw than the 10 hole type which has a machine screw

Ken

Muddy Muddy Muddy - this also goes to explain why some of the screws I thought were for the plate weren't quite right
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »

Gosh Rob, you've me even more curious now, and yes the old ute would definitively have been a farm ute - had a look at our FJ garden art and it does look the same shape, though this one doesn't have the beaded edge. Also this humpy used to be a speedway car so who knows what's been done to it.

humpys gearbox inspection plate by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

Hey Longman, we'll ponder modifying the one we have for bit longer, if we don't do that I'll be in touch. Thanks
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 12:43:56 PM »

So it will fit if it came out of an FB.

I cut up a very early FB to use the firewall and plenum chamber in an EK panel van. Both floor and firewall were subtly different to later cars, and I was told that the FC firewall and floor pan carried over into the early cars. The firewall had provision for mounting the regulator, so I now doubt this. I believe the only difference in the floor pressing was to accomodate RHD export.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »

OK.  FE-early FC: 8 screws, late FC-EK: 10 screws.  They're different.  So that's been a learning experience.  I didn't want to pull the carpet out of my FX and just looked from the engine bay side.  But your FJ's gearbox cover looks like the one in my FX, so it's the genuine thing.

(Good thing you didn't admit to the existence of FJ garden art until now - a little while back I needed a Humpy steering column to raid for its internals.)

Rob

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 05:10:52 PM »

Helen,

I must admit to some curiosity about the "garden-art" FJ.  Where's the original-equipment rust in the front floors?  If the rest of the car's that good, it'd be a viable fixer-upper.  But if it was a speedway car, the exterior bodywork will be somewhat bruised and scarred.

Rob

Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »
+1

Helen,

I must admit to some curiosity about the "garden-art" FJ.  Where's the original-equipment rust in the front floors?  If the rest of the car's that good, it'd be a viable fixer-upper.  But if it was a speedway car, the exterior bodywork will be somewhat bruised and scarred.

Rob

Tis true, she is a little beat up - but remarkably the floors are in good nick - you are not the first to notice this. We are probably not doing this one up (never say never) but love the history - if you can believe it when we picked him up, had a mishap with the car trailer so had to stop at Bunnings in Wagga - who pulls up in the carpark but the speedway driver's daughter - who now lives interstate but was visiting family that weekend - all excited to see her Dad's old car

humpy speedway by Helen Sheedy, on Flickr

looks a lot better in the pic than he really is
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: