FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: piston application  (Read 1948 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2020, 06:50:42 AM »

Any one have a old Repco catalogue and can look up piston WX1872P  ..I imagine it will be under Holden listing for early grey engine ,It may be under a numerical listing and say for example Chevrolet or Vauxhall ,if either way its found I would appreciate the details ..thx Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 10:22:16 AM »

Can’t really help much except to tell you what it’s not.
My catalogue lists;
FX to FC std bore of 3.000 as WX1558
FB std bore (and FX to FC overbore) of 3.0625 as WX1871
FX to FC over bored to 3.125 as WX1851

Ken
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:58:11 AM »

The 1966 2nd edition Automotive Parts Catalogue does not list WC1872P for anything (Austin, Chrysler, Datsun, Ford, Hillman, Holden, Humber, Isuzu, Morris, Nissan, Rambler, Standard, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen and Wolseley). It lists WX1558D for FX-FC, WX1871C for FB-EJ, and WX1872A as a “Repco 3-ring Piston” for FB-EJ.

The Repco Replacement Parts to suit Holden 1948.1965 catalogue shows the same.

You sure it’s a “P” and not an “A”? If the slug is 3.0625” bore and 3-ring then it may be FB-EJ.

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:14:46 PM »

Harv ..Thanks ,I think your on the money ,I used work at Repco which is outlined elsewhere on this forum ,but I didn't keep books .or memory...I now believe the interpretation of the suffix would be  , no letter or maybe the "C" would be just a bare piston , " P " would mean a pin fitted , "A" would mean an assembly ,ie piston ,pin and rings fitted .as you state ,it says in the catalogue that its a Repco piston with 3 rings. to clearly distinguish it ..my " L "engine is therefore 31/16" plus .030 thou..The later FB to EJ piston..I can remember engine reconditioning kits ,it would have 6 piston assemblies with a red , or blue or yellow dot on each kit box and each piston which was matched to a table as the honing clearance..Also thanks Ken for your input ... ..back in the day there was a lot of conjecture about the best rings ,bit like the bloke who would only buy Ampol fuel for example ,and the bloke who would not under any circumstances use Castrol oil cause " it sludges yer engine mate " .. Repco rings verses ACL rings Verses Perfect Circle rings kept beliefs and preferences alive ,3 piece segmented oil control rings as opposed to one piece ..I think that's why the choise was provided..also pre fitted rings got around the problem of the guy who would break one ring when assembling..engine reconditioners usually have a few boxes of raided rings tucked away ...cheers Vern

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »

Harv ..I was thinking , in my last post here ,I mentioned a bare piston being stamped "c" ,I don't think you could buy a bare piston ,they all came with pin fitted ,so now I haven't helped with that ,sorry ,any way you have clarified my set , so thanks ,to think the last time I handled these things was 1975 its a bit dim..I was 27 then ...now there's a co incidence you can reverse the 27 and that's me now ...cheers Vern

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: