FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Distributor question  (Read 3698 times)
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2020, 08:46:24 PM »

Can the distributor from an EK be installed on an EJ motor?
(I just discovered that they have different [GMH and Bosch] part numbers Huh).

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 09:10:02 PM »

Yes it can, there are subtle differences but not that bad. Most models between FX and EJ had a different distributor part number because of small changes.

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »

It all depends on whether your EJ motor has the long dipstick tube still installed.  If it does, you'll find it difficult to connect the early style (FX-EK) vacuum advance pipe, which will foul on the dipstick tube.  And if your EJ motor has the vacuum advance pipe which runs around the back of the rocker cover, the easiest thing to do is fit the EJ vacuum advance unit to your EK distributor.

What parts have you got, and what are you missing?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »

Thanks for those responses.
My EJ motor has the (5”) long dipstick tube, as well as the vacuum advance pipe running alongside the engine block. This pipe has had a couple of tight bends put in it at the end that screws into the (vacuum advance) diaphragm on my (EK) distributor. I also have a spare EJ distributor. It looks to me like the vacuum advance diaphragm is mounted in the same relative location on both distributors. What’s to gain by swapping them?

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »

The only reason to put the EJ vac. adv. unit on an EK distributor is if you still had the EJ vacuum advance pipe and hose.   But you have the early vacuum advance pipe fitted to your motor.  If you can clear the dipstick tube with the early pipe, and have enough clearance to be able to set the ignition timing properly, then there's no need to change anything.

It would be a good idea to check that the vacuum advance diaphragms are air-tight:  With the distributor out and the cap off, apply lips to the vacuum advance unit and suck.  You should see the breaker plate turn.  Then block the hole with your tongue.  The breaker plate should stay advanced.  If the breaker plate slowly returns, the vacuum advance diaphragm has a leak.  If the breaker plate won't move when you suck on the vacuum advance unit, the diaphragm is leaky.  (With the EJ vacuum advance unit you'll have to use a small length of plastic tubing).

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: