FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:14:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Filter Cartridges for Grey Motor  (Read 4251 times)
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2003, 04:34:50 AM »

The grey motor in my newly acquired FE has an external oil filter fitted.  The canister is/was orange in colour.  Any ideas as to make or brand name?

The oil probably hasn't been changed for a while, so I'd like to get a replacement cartridge.  Any clues as to the number?  I guess I should open the canister & see what I find.  There is an old paper element filter in the boot of the car with 'Holden Oil Filter' written on it, but I think it's been sitting in the dust a bit too long to use.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 12:46:46 AM »

Hi Shayne,
If the filter is orange then it is probably a Ryco.The elements are still available at around $25.Hope theis helps.
Cheers,
Graham Smiley
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 04:17:24 AM »

Yes,
Graham is right. RYCO & the filter number is "R4".
Goodluck,
RJ

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 07:04:26 AM »

Auto one sells them. They hold about 3 differenty types for the different models. Mine cost me around $15 from memory.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 10:06:14 AM »

Could also be Fram as all 3 (including AC) were offered by GMH as accessories.   The Ryco filter has a metal ring around it and is approx 3in in diam, Fram has the bracket spot welded to the case and is a little bigger in diam at about 31/2 in.
The Fram filters are a little bigger but Ryco ones can be made to fit with a little mucking around.  Ryco filters are pretty common, but Fram ones are hard to find.

Ken
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 01:25:48 AM »

I got an R4P ryco element  (i assume the 'P' is for paper?), but it won't fit.  It is the correct diameter, but appears to be about 3 mm too high.  Unfortunately the bloody thing cost me $36 out here in the desert!

The element in the filter is tin or steel & has 'Fram' written on it.  I've changed the oil & just dropped the Fram element back in until I sort the drama out.

The oil filter housing isn't welded to the bracket, and the orange paint appears to be a second coat over the top of black.  There are no beads or rings around the housing except the one on the lid.  No numbers or names.  Any clues?

Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 01:36:42 AM »

The element says

'Genuine Replacement Element by Fram for Holden Oil Filter Part Number 7405425' on the top.

Any clues as to availability, or should I consign the filter & element to the Museum?

FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 08:11:18 PM »

Shayne,
If the cartridge you found in the boot is the right one, you could try cleaning the dust off gently with compressed air. Being carefull not to get too much pressure on the paper of course, or give it a swish in a tin of petrol till the dirts all gone then let it dry out a bit before fitting.

If you change the oil regularly ie. every 6mths or 1000 miles you don't need a filter. After all, grey motors lasted through 7 models without the General feeling the need to fit a filter.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: