FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:31:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: air vent rubber  (Read 2427 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »

Gents  ..OK here we go ..I am fitting new Rare Spares rubber seal to front air vent cowling ..Firstly ..The cowling is original ,it is not dimensionally changed because of repairs...I believe I have fitted rubber correctly ,over inner lip ,with the curved flap bit upwards ..the vent cover will not pull down flat ,have made adjustments to the small screws in the elongated holes under dash ,and wound lever rod in to what should be best travel ,,Who has done these and can advise  me .. cheers Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

Vern,

So far exactly as I remember doing on my FC.  I gather that your pull rod adjustment works.  Normally the threads seize up solid.

Are you sure you're turning the adjustment the right way?  There's the part with an external thread and a part with an internal thread.  As you unscrew the externally threaded part off the internally threaded part, the pull rod lengthens.  It will get to the point where it becomes too long, and the vent will stay partly open even with the handle in the "closed" position.  (I'd suggest unscrewing the externally threaded part completely off the internally threaded part, cleaning the threads, greasing them, and re-adjusting from scratch.)

I think the externally threaded part of the pull rod is riveted onto the vent.  If you can unscrew the pull rod completely, check that the vent closes more or less completely on its own without fouling on the rubber as it closes.  Sit a bag of sand on the vent and tighten the hinge screws.  Then assemble and adjust the pull rod.

That's all I can suggest.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 02:57:05 PM »

G'Day Rob ..Trust you are well ..Yes have the rod and tube male ,female threads all free and winding easily,have you fitted a Rare Spares rubber seal ?

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »

Vern,

Yes.  It was a Rare Spares seal.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 08:36:47 PM »

Hi Vern,
I assume you have the lip sitting in the groove in the back of the rubber? The vent pulls down very tight.
Cheers Graham
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 07:01:42 AM »

Hi Graham..Yes I persevered with the rubber ,getting it to stay in place as you work around it was the problem ,I didn't want to glue it in place to find I had to remove ,no way of checking against another car or being confident my chamber was really original ,there is no evidence of repairs on top or under dash..
Any way i'll cut a story down to a tale ..did realise the tension on the lever would be high ,otherwise the vent would sit up proud ,any way it is in ,glued in ,almost flush fit ,I hope it will depress over time a little more, it passed the water test ..re did the tappets as originally just set the TDC method in firing order ,this time used the valve number sequence method , engine sounds quite good ..cheers Vern ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: