FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring Trico vacuum wiper motor  (Read 2893 times)
gav.

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »

Hi Folks,

I have a Trico vacuum wiper motor in an FE that needs a kit to restore it. Specifically the seals around the blade have deteriorated and are falling apart. Ideally a kit including gasket, blade seals, and the small round seal attached to the blade is what I am after.

There are no Trico model numbers on the motor (there are patent numbers), there are Holden part numbers for the motor in various manuals, but no way to relate this to any Trico kits.

I found this post by Ron Wilson (who says he rebuilds them) in 2013 on oldholden.com:
http://oldholden.com/comment/517743#comment-517743

I have tried the email address (ron.wilson223@gmail.com), but received no response, does anyone know if he is still active ?

Cheers,

gav.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 12:39:56 PM »

Gav,

A couple of thoughts:

If the seals around the "paddle" are falling to bits, find another wiper motor.  Usually they go stiff, but don't fall apart.  Soaking the "paddle" in automatic transmission fluid for a week or so can help make them a little more pliable.  When reassembling the wiper motor, go nuts with grease on the seals and inside the housings.

If the shaft is loose in the bushings to the point where you can wobble the shaft sideways, the motor will leak air, and won't work well.  Find another wiper motor.

Another area that gives trouble is the overcentre-spring-link-rotary-valve assembly.  The rotary valve is nylon, and warps.  Its sealing surface needs to be made flat (wet'n'dry and a sheet of glass); but the surface it bears onto has to be flat also.  A small amount of grease here helps in sealing, but does not guarantee a perfect seal.

Failing everything else, Chevs of the 40s in Washington (state, not DC) offers a rebuild service for Chevrolet vacuum wiper motors.  The FE-FC wiper motor is bound to use the same internals as Chevrolet wiper motors.  You'd have to find out whether their rebuilder is prepared to take on a Holden wiper motor.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: