FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:39:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Booster  (Read 8835 times)
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »

Two things have got me thinking about brakes recently:

1.  The mountain work around Jindabyne had some brakes running pretty hot with some heavy pedal pressures needed.

2. There's a recon'd VH40 booster for sale on ebay.

I did a search and found earlier posts about boosters.  In one, the writer wrote that the VH40 is for a disc brake application.

My car is standard FC drums.  Is the VH40 too big/powerful?  Should I be thinking about  a VH44 which, it seems, is smaller?

From earlier posts it would seem that the low $200s is about the mark for exchange VH40?  Is this reasonable?  What about straight-out buy?

Any hints/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 04:18:43 AM by lewis1411 » Logged

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 05:16:26 AM »

Have a good think about it Martin, if you want good brakes, go for discs. This means modifying your car though.
I have boosted drums on my '66 Galaxie and it makes for some interesting braking situations. It's generally a case of all or nothing and takes some time to get used to.
As much as pains me to say this, don't do it!
Adelaide isn't that hilly to justify the mods.

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:40:00 AM »

Martin

This is just my opion
      Putting a booster on drum brakes just gives a false sense of security. If you what better stopping power then you should upgrade/modify to disc brakes. Stinky is right in saying dont do it. All the car's I have driven with power boosted drum brakes are not that much better than drum brakes.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 09:56:09 AM »

Good points, Stink & Sarge.  Thanks.  I guess very hot, fading brakes won't improve no matter how hard you stand on them - with or without boost.

Cheers.  

Martin

PS  and I ain't modifying "Jim".  He stays stock.  Maybe in a few years, a modified FC would be good - Jindabyne has given me an appetite.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 09:57:53 AM by lewis1411 » Logged

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 10:55:58 AM »

Hi Martin,

Just to cover a few of your points regarding boosters, Repco quoted me $582 for a new VH40 booster.  This really is an absurd price and fairly hard to justify.  I've heard other people paying $800, although this may be myth.

Exchange can vary from $200 to $350+, but the best bet is Hydroboost in Melbourne.  They have the VH40s for $145 exchange or $195 outright and they look like brand new.  The cases are galvanised and I couldn't find anything on the booster that didn't look brand new.  He even takes postal orders without a deposit!

From memory VH44s were a little cheaper.  I'll scan his brochure and post it on the forum some time... it really is a great service.

I believe there is a mob making finned drums for FE/FCs - it was discussed some time ago on the forum... this may be a good option?

Cheers
Dave
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 10:48:51 PM »

You got me hitting the panic buttom there for a while Martin with the talk of a HR disc brake front end in your great stocky OH NO!!!!!!!! I have a booster set up in both my Wagon and sedan on a stock drum set up and i have never had any problems and they pull up beautifully through the hills that i live in and through the huge hills on the way to Jindabyne i personally would recommend the booster option to any stock cars that are interested.
Brett

Brett Gillard
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 01:19:18 AM »

I think the problem is that we are used to driving newer cars with great brakes and we have to remember that our cars are nearly fifty years old and thats just how they are.

Ps.My brakes where smokin a bit on some of those jindabyne hills.

Cheers Geoff
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 10:08:01 AM »

Thanks for the info, Dave

No sweat, Brett.  What boosters do you have on yours?

Geoff, so that was you that was a bit whiffy on the Dalgetty run, was it?   Roll Eyes  Wink
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:08:48 AM by lewis1411 » Logged

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:22:11 AM »

Martin, there is always the option of converting the Kingpin front to disks.  I did it on my EK and although it was a bit of stuffing around it was not as hard as a HR conversion and I can swap back to my stock drums in a couple of hours if I so choose.  I upgraded to a HR rear but I did consider just having my original rear cylinders resleaved to HR diameter which I would recommend if you want to maintain originality.  

I know it is still modification but in my case I saw it as being essential as my car is a daily driver and the drums were shocking.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 02:38:21 AM »

Hi Martin,
I have been running boosted drums on the FJ for years, with a VH44, lastyear it finally needed replacement, and I bought one of the Hydroboost ones, (check out my post under rants raves and dummy spits) and it cost me $120 delivered to my door, and some advice about installing it, They have a huge range of the brackets and bits and pieces you may need!
I also have boosted drums on  the EK hydro, and believe me it makes a huge difference to the driveability of the car, it is true however that you will still be limited to drum braking but if you keep that in mind it will make the stopping much more enjoyable.
Matt
P.S. given that your car is soo original, talk to Hydroboost about one of the VH24 boosters that he has, quite an expensive unit, but it is the original NASCO fitted option unit in the fifties!(fully restored of course)
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 07:01:25 AM »

;)Goodaye Martin,i just pulled my reconditioned vh44 booster of my FE,i just wanted to make it look more original,and the car is not a daily driver and my drum brakes work pretty well,im asking $120 for it and it comes with brackets and extra brake lines that are needed!!even if you decide to go to disc brakes you will still need a booster!!if you want some pics let me know,cheers jamie Wink Wink Wink
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 01:47:39 PM »

Thanks, Mike & Matt.  I really don't want to modify Jim, so I might have a yarn to Hydroboost.   Cheesy

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 06:43:14 PM »

Martin
Both my booster units are VH 24 units that were rekitted and restored and as mentioned have been a great addition.
Good Luck
Brett

Brett Gillard
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 11:29:23 PM »

I gotta agree with Sarge on this one.  Don't do it.  Boosted drums are (IMHO) worse than unboosted.  They're not going to save you from brake fade.  All they achieve is to make the effort on the pedal less, which in my experience leads to faster lock-up when you hit them hard.

If you want to improve your brakes without sacrificing (too much) originality, look into fitting FB/EK drums on the front.  They're a bit meatier, and are pretty much an 'invisible' modification.  It's also a bolt-on/bolt-off change.  Otherwise, if the repro Repco drums pan out, they should definitely be considered.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 12:29:48 PM »

To do or not to do ... that is the question:
Whether tis nobler on the road to suffer
The stops and goes of unpowered brakes
Or to take a booster to make Jim stop quick

(sorry, William)

I've gotta listen to the experts, so I reckon I'll leave it alone - and Stinky's right - fade's not a problem around Adelaide.

FB/EK front brakes is an interesting idea, RET.  Maybe I'll look into that avenue.

Thanks yo all who have made suggestions.

Cheers.

Martin

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 09:15:44 PM »

Suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous poetry, more like Roll Eyes

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Grah

I'm in love with DORIS!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »

Could someone please post contact details for Hydroboost in Melbourne. I have a unit that requires to be serviced.

Regards,

Grah.

Grah
Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 01:21:57 AM »

Grah,

You can phone Hydroboost on (03) 93904811, I believe they're out Sydenham way if you're in Melbourne  Cool

Cheers ... Pete

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
aldo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »

VH24 booster rubbers listed on ebay for $50 new
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)