FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:51:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC ute tailgate skin  (Read 8455 times)
fcute

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:43:03 AM »

Hi all, I am after opinions on which tailgate skin is better Rust a Problem or Rare Spares. There is a big difference in price between the two.

Thanks
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 08:01:37 AM »

Though I haven’t used either I believe the cheaper one would be fine. Mate made his own simply by fixing at top and flexing 0.9 zinc anneal over a piece of angle fixed to the internal cross brace. Then turning the bottom and sides over.
Ok it’s an EK van which is virtually identical.

Guy named Mark Reilly at Hoppers Crossing. He’s done some nice cars including FC van.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:11:37 AM »

Hi fcute I have used Taylors panels before however not the tailgate skin, I have found his panels pretty good below is from his catalogue $160 which includes GST
Neil

118.   TAIL GATE SKIN ( UTILITY )   $   145.41          $  160.00
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »

Thanks Clay and Neil. Neil you wouldn't happen to have his contact details? Can't seem to find him on Gumtree anymore.

I am about to pull my FC off the road to commence a rebuild, complete with V6, some much needed brakes (4wheel discs), rust repairs and steering.

Cheers Dave
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »

Dave, I think Taylors has closed....
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »

Hey Guys it will be a shame if he has closed even though he was a funny guy to deal with I did like his panels they were much better pressed than the Rares ones I have dealt with.

Dave I have his phone number somewhere and will put it up for you when I find it, please let us know if you get a hold of them as I am going to need panels for my next project FB Station Wagon.

Regards
Neil
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:32:59 AM »

Dave I just googled Taylor's Rust Repair Panels and you can find their catalogue on line as a PDF.
Regards
Neil
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »

There is another bloke in qld that does them and I reckon that is where the other resellers get theirs. These are the $150 ones. A friend did a trip up there a while ago and bought back a couple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »

i got one from retro spares recently.it is really well made.tipped flanges look great it has the right curve at the top even i was surprised
.about 200 bucks shipped

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 06:06:32 PM »

I ordered mine through the Rust Repair guy in Eltham, VIC.  I wanted to pick it up to save postage costs.  No way he said, they come from QLD and postage was added either to his shop in Eltham, or to my address.  I chose my place (saved me picking it up for the same price)  When it arrived I was a bit disappointed in the gauge metal used ......... just a bit thin, lighter than I was expecting.  Ask what gauge they are when comparing prices.

1959 FC Holden Ute
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »

Thanks to all for replying. I will let you know how I go.
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:18:31 PM »

I sent an email into Taylor's as the phone number isn't working and received a reply from Rays son Darrin.

Apparently Ray is having some medical issues at the moment so Darrin in between his own job and everything else is trying to fill orders; I asked if they are still taking new orders but have not received a reply as yet.

I think it will be a shame if Taylors goes under, it is another Aussie company that has been supporting our hobby for a long time and they did produce good quality at a reasonable price.
Neil
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 05:13:56 PM »

I agree Neil. Hopefully Darrin will keep it going. A lot of these old smaller shows seem to have trouble making it viable to adapt to the ever increasing load of bureaucracy, WHS, workcover etc. government policy does not help small businesses and eventually the big corporations will have a stranglehold on us so called consumers.

Rant over
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »

I ordered mine through the Rust Repair guy in Eltham, VIC.  I wanted to pick it up to save postage costs.  No way he said, they come from QLD and postage was added either to his shop in Eltham, or to my address.  I chose my place (saved me picking it up for the same price)  When it arrived I was a bit disappointed in the gauge metal used ......... just a bit thin, lighter than I was expecting.  Ask what gauge they are when comparing prices.
he would have used 20 gauge which is a normal panel thickness.alot of rust repair sections would be made from 18 gauge,which you are probably used to.why would it really matter for a tailgate skin?

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 07:27:46 AM »

The guy in Qld,who makes door skins , and prob tail gates ,I spoke to, uses .92mm cold rolled sheet ,that's what we bought and used in our job ..
Steve is happy working with it ,but it gets surface rust while you fit a new disc in grinder ,and its a bloody dry winter ..Vern .

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »

Here's cold rolled sheet sizes in Australia.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »

the 20 gauge is much easier to tip (fold) the edge over the tailgate inner frame.
So it would definitely come out better for a bloke with not much experience with panels in his own shed,
giving it a go by himself.
first time i tipped a doorskin ,it looked horrible .
hammer marks everywhere and my boss screamed at me
it would have been even worse if it was 18 gauge.
it is also quicker to get the compound curve on the skin  with the english wheel,easier to shrink and stretch the edges
thats just my thinking anyway after working for a couple hotrod/restoration shops ..
not trying to talk crap just giving my assumption of the thinner panel
regards wayne Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »

Factory pressings were 20#. Good reason.

18# is a lot heavier. Well it seems like it. I guess it is 1 & 1/3 as heavy.

I’m pretty sure Rare Spares floor and  outer sill are 20#. Inner should be 18# as per factory.

Stitching or rosette lap welding with mig I find it far more effective when lighter material is on top or sheets are same gauge. Hard to get effective penetration on the heavier gauge without blowing through the lighter. Oxy is possibly more forgiving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 07:18:54 AM »

sorry..0.91mm not 0.92mm

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »

sorry..0.91mm not 0.92mm
tere is tolerances in sheet so it is somewhere around that .....so your not wrong

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: