FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:33:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: EJ Vacuum Advance Pipe?  (Read 2663 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:59:58 PM »

Where does the vacuum advance pipe run in EJs?  I have a suspicion that it goes from the carburettor rearwards alongside the rocker cover, round the back of the rocker cover, down the back of the pushrod cover, forward at the bottom of the pushrod cover (between distributor and pushrod cover?), and then there's a flexible hose to connect to the vacuum advance.

It's because of the dipstick tube.

Any photos would be much appreciated.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »

Hi Rob.

On my EJ the pipe runs the same as my FC, however the connection to the vac diaphragm is with a flexible tube (same as Red motors).

AFAIK other than that, they are the same.

Dr Terry
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:40:40 PM »

Terry,

Thanks for that info.

My brother bought a Penola Rose/Fowlers Ivory EJ Hydro wagon from a colleague of my father's for $200 in the early '80s.  The splines in the flywheel damper were chewed out, and it was easier to do an engine-out to fix . . . and I remember that one pipe went round the back of the rocker cover.

But there may not have been a "standard" arrangement.

And I think I've got a vac. adv. pipe that's missing the pipe nut at the distributor end.

Rob

ipg

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

this one goes around the back

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/449891352248031/
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »

Rob,

This may not be of help but the hyda-matic on a grey have a small breather can for the tranny on a pipe attached to the box that sits in that area but is not connected to the vacuum

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

Thanks Gary.  I remember the breather pipe as well, but the vac. advance pipe was like @ipg suggests (although I don't have a Facebook account, so I can't see the image).

'Cause I was wondering how, if the vac. adv. pipe goes around the front of the motor, how it sneaks between the upright-EJ ignition coil and the sideplate.

By the way, an early distributor will slot into an EJ motor and not foul on the dipstick tube; but I left the advance pipe disconnected.

And another item of trivia:  an EH generator will fit on an EJ motor, but the pulley centreline is about 1/4" too far forward.

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: