FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:36:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bootlid Rubber Seal  (Read 3970 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2019, 05:54:18 PM »

Recently I made the mistake of having my original seal replaced by someone that generally knows their stuff. Now admittedly the old seal was past its prime and did leak, but importantly, also allowed perfect alignment. Job done and I now have the lid sitting too high and the boot needs slamming in order to shut. Cannot live with it so I am going to give it a go myself. I have trawled this forum on related posts but they are a few years old. I think I have enough info on fitting so my main question is: are all the boot rubbers available from various vendors from the same factory and hence no difference in fit and profile? Or can anyone recommend one that is a better option? Any advice on this or fitting it would be appreciated. Sorry, I know this issue has been well covered in the past but wondering what the latest thoughts on it are.

Cheers, Ken  Huh
GMHwagoon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

there is one,it is  either beta auto or thompsons that has a larger base on it  which makes it harder to fit and also
 sits to high ,   l fitted one of these to a club members car only to find it didn't fit well

l ended up cleaning up the original ,or it might have been an old rare spares one and before fitting found that the square base
       that fits it the channel was slightly smaller

made fitting easy and boot lid sat nice .  hope this helps
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:12:49 PM »

I had the same problem when I fitted new seals many years ago to my EK sedan. Boot lid sat up at the front corners particularly. The seals were from Rare Spares c 1989. The door seals were tight also. Everything settled down after a few months but there was always a tendency for leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:07:49 AM »

Ditto. Same problem with the boot lid sitting high. Rubbers were purchased from Thompsons. Some came in RS bags, some in unmarked bags. I thought they were all from the same source(s) at the end of the day, each supplying different components to make up a full kit. Apart from the boot & the rear window I thought they were good. I have also considered re using the original boot rubber. The point about the old rubber square being smaller is interesting - would it allow more room for the rubber to squash down into shape?

Dave
0417 270 315
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:34 AM »

When l had both old and new rubbers side by side the base was larger on the new rubber
  which made the rubber sit higher .only because there was to much rubber to go in channel 
   different texture on the new one a lot softer ,more like sponge than rubber

greg    (fcwagoon)
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »

60 year old rubber will always be harder I reckon. I salvaged the 30 year old Rare Spares rubbers out of a shell I sold to reuse in my current projects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »

Stretching the rubber as you install it will help reduce the height and let it squash down easier only way I could get my doors and boot to close
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:35:50 AM »

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the advice. Any suggestions re what glue to use?
I'm thinking Loctite super glue gel at this stage.
Cheers, Ken  Smiley
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »

I found Super glue good for joining end to end. I've recently tried Sikaflex-227 Auto and Construction Sealant. It starts to cure quickly so after setting up & testing the fit, I found sections were easier to manage & keep clean rather than attempting a large opening in one go. Once left overnight it's there for good unless you deliberately pull it back. It can be carefully pulled away from the rubber & paint if you really need to without causing damage. I had a couple of goes at some sections & found this was a real advantage.

Dave
0417 270 315
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »

Contact adhesive eg kwik grip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile