FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FC Wagon  (Read 9515 times)
rickjen
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »

Hi All
After a 2 year forced lay off I am now well enough to get back into the rebuild ( as long as my doc doesn't find out  Grin ). Problem is memory is not as good as it used to be, I took 100s of pics etc as I was dismantling and repairing and put all parts in separate containers and identified by marking each container. The question is what will make my task ahead easier and if I come across a problem being small or large what is best to refer to, I have tried searching all the fine articles in the forum but it takes for ever to get to what I want.
Hope this all makes sense for eg I want to refit the front body ass, front end a diff as starters
Regards
Rick
I have the early model Holden spare parts manual 700 + pages but how do you use it ?

rickjen
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:09 PM »

The spare parts manual is invaluable but not the easiest to read and understand. It takes a bit of practice.
Do you have the spare parts manual that just has FX to FC? It will be much easier if you have that one.

Ken
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »

Try eBay there are cd versions of the parts manual on there
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »

just ask on here as you get to each problem.
usually someone will post inf for you quicker than you may think
good luck with the build!!!

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:03 PM »
+1

Thanks for all your comments and help, it would seem that the FE FC only spare parts CD would be a big step in the right direction. Has anyone got a link to Ebay for this CD.
That would be very much appreciated
ick

rickjen
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »

I meant FX to FC spare parts manual, I tried looking through Ebay without success
Rick

rickjen
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 09:16:34 AM »

Hi Rick, a forum member had them for sale as a download version a while back, I’ll see if I can find his details. From memory he was in Queensland.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »

great, I will look forward to you being able to get the info
Thanks Heaps
Rick

rickjen
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

The members forum name is FE 4 ME in Queensland, $15 and he will send a link to download the complete catalogue. I have it and found it very useful during my rebuild.
Not sure if he is still around as his last post was back in January. Best thing to do is send him a message and see if you get a reply.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:05:03 AM »

Just a thought, if you don’t do any good with the message, get in contact with Ethernet Queensland FE-FC car club, they may be able to help you.
Jim

rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 01:54:25 PM »

Thanks Jim
Have contacted Qld president, not heard of him and have sent message to FE 4 ME hoping he will respond
Thanks

rickjen
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 04:06:42 PM »

So Rick, which parts book do you have? Is it the twenty year one.  I'm pretty sure that this is the one he scanned.

Ken
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »

Yes it is the 20 year one 758 pages long which I have trouble using with so many models in it.
I saw one on Ebay with just FX - FC spare parts cat. which I thought is the one I need but it was a book not CD for $250 plus postage
Rick

rickjen
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »

Gday Rick,

I have a book called "The Complete Holden Workshop Manual" covering 48-215 up to HD, printed in 1966. Very detailed descriptions and photo's, it might be just what you need. 

It was my grandfathers, happy to send it up to you on loan - as long as I get it back at some stage.

Cheers, Graeme
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 06:09:32 PM »

on eBay
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »

I’ve got that item and it is anything but easy to navigate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »

Yes this is the book I have, I thought it was me that was not smart enough and missing something here. But it must have been used somewhere at the time of no computers to just punch in a item number etc. you need info on
Must be someone out there that knows?
I don't feel alone anymore  Smiley Grin

rickjen
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »
+1

These books were designed to be leafed through by people at the spare parts counter. The PDF version of it is actually a little harder to work with than the printed original, in my opinion.

There are 3 different types of numbers in it, and once you get the hang of it, you'll be looking things up like a boss. Or, like the guy at the counter, anyway!

Part number: generally 7 digits, but nuts and bolts etc can be 5 or 6 digit numbers. Most FE/FC specific parts have a part number that looks like 740XXXX. If parts have a left or right version, the left will be an odd number and the right will be one less (and even, obviously).

Group Number: generally a number with 3 decimal places, between 0.000 and 15.534 (at least in the one I'm looking at, they may go higher in later versions. That's not important.) The Group Number describes the general area or component of the car that a part belongs to, eg Group 0 is Engine, Group 1 is Oiling/Cooling. There's a "thumb index" on the inside front cover (arrows which point to a black square printed on the first page of that Group. Completely useless in the PDF, but if you bend the physical book, you can see where the black square is.) Fortunately the PDF has a bookmark index that achieves much the same thing.

Illustration Reference Number: a number from 1 upwards, that relates to a reference on an associated illustration. This tells you the "proper name" for the part (what GM-H called it), and the Group Number where it can be found.

If you know the proper name of the part, there's an alphabetical index at the front of the book that will take you straight to the Group Number. I rarely use this.

If you know the part number and want to check what model it belongs to and/or its purpose, that's easy. Look up the index at the back and find the number, and it will tell you what Group it belongs to. If you don't find it, check the immediately preceding index of replacement part numbers, then look that up instead. (Replacement part numbers are for things that were superseded by a later model's version of the same thing.)

Find the Group, then scan through it looking for the part number / replacement part number. When you find it, you'll see what model / body, any special details and how many are required.

If on the other hand you know what the part is but not the number or the proper name, you identify the appropriate section. Then, using the exploded diagrams and pictures, find the numbered part in question. Under / next to the image will be the legend linking the Illustration Ref Number to the Group Number where it can be found.

So imagine someone was asserting that wagons have bumperettes like utes do. f I wanted to find the part numbers for the various bumper corners:
1. If I know GM-H call them "BAR - End" (as opposed to "BAR - Centre"), I can look that up in the alphabetical index, which takes me to Group 7.831
2. Otherwise, I find the Body section, and the illustration of EXTERIOR BODY PARTS, and identify the part on the picture. On the Front View, it's either 30 (back), or 50 (front). Either refers to "BAR - End" and Group 7.831
3. I go to Group 7.831 which is "BAR - Bumper face", and in there I'll find END - Front LH and END - Front RH, suit FE,FC part numbers 7408745 and 7408744 respectively.
4. I'll also find END - Rear LH and END - Rear RH, and here a note that there are parts that suit all EXCEPT 2104 (van) and 2106 (ute) models. Further down are the rear bumperettes for utes and vans, all explicitly numbered and described.

I hope that's some help. Once you'd done it a few times, it gets easier.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »

Hi Ret
I am away at the moment and will be back home on Tuesday and will bring the spare manual out again and work through your explanation.
2x things here 1. I feel so much better on why I could not understand how to use the manual
2. if I can get a hang of it, it will be yet another reference tool to make my joy of restoration easier.
Thanks for the time and effort to go to the trouble of your explanation for me and any other person out there like me that did not know

Happy Easter to you and family and to all members of a very informative and helpful club

Regards
Rick Jen

rickjen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: