FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Petrol level in fuel pump glass bowl.  (Read 3741 times)
Snoop

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:51:20 PM »

Hi guys after driving the ute around for and hour or so yesterday she just stalled.
I got out and noticed the level in the fuel bowl was a bit lower than the mesh guaze filter I left it for half an hour and the level came up to around flush with the guaze so I guess some petrol filtered through because it started and I drove it home. The fuel level now is just over the guaze ! Can somebody tell me if the fuel bowl should be completely full? My manual doesn’t say.
Cheers Snoop
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »

After a long drive, the glass bowl is generally completely full.  As long as there's fuel up to the level of the gauze when the engine's running, all is good.

If the level falls to the height of the little rectangular opening next to the inlet connection, that means trouble.

Troubleshooting (with engine idling):

If air bubbles come out of the opening next to the inlet connection, you're about to run out of fuel, or your braided hose has a split in it.

If there are "beer bubbles" (or champagne, depending on your tastes) running up the inside of the glass bowl, the bowl isn't sealing properly on the gasket.  This often happens if the bowl has been removed for cleaning.

Troubleshooting (advanced):

Disconnect fuel hose at inlet to pump and put the free end in a jar or drink bottle.  Take the petrol cap off the tank, and doing your best Dizzy Gillespie impersonation, apply your mouth to the filler pipe and blow for about ten seconds.  Not too hard, otherwise you'll want to pass out.  There should be some fuel in the jar.  If there isn't, then there's probably a blockage in the tank or fuel lines.

Or you can park the car facing downhill, and then loosen the fuel hose at the pump inlet.  Petrol should start to weep out immediately once the connection's loose.  If the petrol won't flow, then you might have a blockage.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:47:50 PM »

Pretty much snoop though a bit of air is not unusual. If original braided flexible fuel line is still in use, it may be collapsed. If this is not an issue try blowing back in to the tank with compressed air to clear any blockage in the line. Check line integrity between pump and tank. If this doesn’t highlight the problem then it’s time to have a look at the pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »

Thank you Rob and Errol62 for the information and troubleshooting advise I’m going out to the garage to have a fiddle around and see what I can find. Went for a short drive this morning ( it didn’t stall) and looked at the bowl as soon as I got back and it was about a third full but after a few minutes the level came up to just over the guaze filter.
The car came with a rebuilt spare fuel pump so I’ve got that if I need it.
Thanks again
Peter

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »

If this is not an issue try blowing back in to the tank with compressed air to clear any blockage in the line.

Take the fuel cap off for this, as the vent hole in the cap won’t vent enough air to keep up with the compressor.

Oh... and don’t do it with a full tank of fuel, because it will spray out everywhere. Don’t ask me how I know Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Harv
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »

Hi guys and thanks Harv for the extra input.
Over the weekend I check for fuel leaks back to the tank and couldn’t find any I took it for several drives both long and short and each time I got back home noted that the bowl was nearly full with the engine running but upon turning the engine off I noticed a fine stream of bubbles coming up from inside the base of the glass and the fuel level in the bowl reducing to around the guaze filter or lower , so Rob I think you were right the bowl gasket is leaking air into the bowl and I think some fuel is running back into the tank? The day it stalled I was parked facing uphill and it only ran for about 30 second probably what was in the carby.
Can someone give me a lead as to where I might be able to purchase a replacement o ring /gasket for the base of the fuel bowl.
Cheers Peter
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:22:43 AM »

Can someone give me a lead as to where I might be able to purchase a replacement o ring /gasket for the base of the fuel bowl.

Rare Spares don't list the cork gasket on their website, but their Sydney outlet does sell them. Wouldn't be too hard to knock one up from a sheet of cork from SuperCheap.

Cheers,
Harv
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »

Snoop ..You can buy them ebay no prob ,or Rares ,they will post ,or cut a couple out of rubberised cork sheet or nitrile rubber sheet ,both fuel resistant of course ..cut the inner out first with suitable tube of some thing with wet Stanley knife ,use the bowl to cut outer dia ..check your retainer clip is true ,not distorted ,it is anchored in pump body correctly ,tighten just nice ,and in few days just tighten little more ,esp the rubberised cork ..Vern

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips I’m sure I would have had a very frustrating time diagnosing the problem alone ! if at all. What a massive difference this forum makes makes.
Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: