FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:47:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: oil pump components  (Read 1237 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »

I'm on another engine rebuild, and today was mucking around with the oil pump -
The relief valve was worn to the point of rattling around in the bore.  So I cannibalised a red motor oil pump for the relief valve and spring.  The red motor relief valve is longer than its grey equivalent, but the diameter is the same, and the total height of the spring (in the piston) is about 1/8" less for the red than the grey.  The "thumb dynamometer" told me that the two relief valve springs have about the same stiffness, so I put a couple of washers in behind the red motor spring and installed the red relief valve and spring in the grey oil pump.

What's the received wisdom on this topic?  Has anyone used a red motor relief valve and spring in a grey oil pump?  I suppose I can drive the pump with a drill and measure the oil pressure with a gauge once the engine's assembled.

And a red motor's oil pump relief valve plug makes an excellent sump plug.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: