FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:21:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air compressor advice please  (Read 7507 times)
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:00:20 PM »

I would like some feedback on the below compressor currently on sale at Supercheap.
I am looking for something to spray acrylic at home in the garage.
As it will not get a great deal of use, 1 car, perhaps 2 and some touch up work, the odd air tool use.
I realise it is a cheap unit, but would like some advice on whether this would do the job.

• Direct drive construction
• Lubrication - oil splash
• 40 Litre tank capacity
• 180 Litres/min Free Air Delivery

• 4 Piece Spray Gun Kit
(340074)

• 10m Air Hose

Regards
Alex

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 12:11:08 AM »

Hi Alex
I’ve been told you need at least 12cfm or 340 litres per minute for painting a car. There are cheap units around the $400 mark plus freight ex Ballarat on eBay.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »

My Dad found one of these at the local dump and left it at my place .I took the end cover off and found that you can pull the whole[alloy] motor apart so I took the seized conrod out and resized the big end with the dremil and put it back together, and it run beautiful . So I gave it to a friend to put air in his tyres . Yes ...I wouldn't try to spray a car without a minimum of 12 cfm and even then you really need air storage and I personally hate those slinky [spring style ] hoses ,they can smash or spill your gun if you have to place it down for any reason . Another tip is to have plenty of hose to allow the compressed air to cool before a second low down [close to the floor ] water trap .
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I see nothing at supercheap is suitable then.
I found this unit on ebay which looks workable.....thoughts?

Regards
Alex

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:18:27 PM »

It looks to be built to do the job and last about two years. Then it goes to land fill and there is a risk that you haven’t finished with it so you’re buying another one. It’s hard to resist the low price. I’ve been umming and erring about just this dilemma for a couple of years while I limp along with my current set up.

KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »

You will need an water and oil trap in the line as well

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 04:37:34 PM »

Been going thru this process too, the problem is there are lots of quoted HP and KW errors when you compare.  There's no cheap compressor. Main consideration is whether you have a 15 Amp  mains outlet available or are restricted to the standard 10 Amp.  At the moment I'm thinking this Peerless.  Have a look at the spec sheet attached to this ebay add.  (You can get them cheaper than this just used this for the convenience.  Slow revving is ideal also as it keeps cooler.

eBay item number:

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:06 PM »

High quality unit but is 275L/min FAD enough flow? Most painters seem to say you need at least 12CFM (340l/m), more like 16CFM if you run a mask

ehsv6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »

Suppose that depends on what type of spraying you want to do, bits and pieces or whole car.  Looking at other brands on ebay it would appear they overstate their specs, or are Peerless conservative.  Like me I think customFC would like to hear what others have got as well and their experiences with different brands. 
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »

Same here 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »

Some good advice, thanks for sharing your opinions.
Regards
Alex

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 10:43:13 AM »

Hi Alex, another option is to buy a cheap compressor for your air tools and small touch up jobs, and when it comes time to paint a whole car, go and hire a suitably sized one for the job. I don't know what hire rates are, but would assume it'd be cheaper than buying.

Water in your air lines is one of your enemies. If you use a too small unit when doing a large spray job, it will be on more often or all the time, and your water issue gets worse as the air doesn't have enough time to cool and condense the water for your water traps to work effectively.  You can add extra hose or piping to aid cooling, water traps etc. to help, but the cost mounts up.

As mentioned by ehsv6, your power outlets (and budget) are the limiting factor. Units at around the 12-15cfm often require 15A outlets, and bigger than that can go to 415V, 3 phase.  If you're restricted to 10A, then it's still possible to spray a whole car depending on your experience, or you may have to look at doing sections at a time, and check your water traps regularly.

When I bought mine, I did a lot of research and procrastinating (which allowed me to save more money Smiley), then eventually bit the bullet and bought a big 3 phase fella on special. I've no regrets as I use it a lot for air tools, sandblast unit, etc., but we all have different requirements and it's not always a simple decision.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

John
Billy Blackarrow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »

I don't know how old you are BUT you ether have a lot ahead of you  OR it will see you out ether way buy the bigest and best you can as there are 101 uses around that you will use it for from blowing up kids float toys to air tools when you have one it is supprising what you use it for & when you have paid for it you soon forget how much it cost just how helpful it is.
 my 2cents worth
BILLY BLACKARROW

BILLY BLACKARROW
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 08:44:29 AM »

You are right Billy , I bought my old compressor reconditioned 30 years ago and its previous owner [a contract fencer]had run it out of oil .The owner had sent it back to be repaired by the manufacturer and had purchased another in the mean time . The sellers story must have been correct as it is still running as good as it was when I bought it . Regular cleaning and servicing is the secret [nothing new there].
Longman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »

I run an old Swan-air 16cfm cast iron twin. Belt drive, 100L tank. Bought it fully recon from an old guy for a ridiculously low price. Runs a treat for any job, great duty cycle.
Longman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »

I should ad, mine is 440l/m and runs on 10A.

I run an old Swan-air 16cfm cast iron twin. Belt drive, 100L tank. Bought it fully recon from an old guy for a ridiculously low price. Runs a treat for any job, great duty cycle.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »

The only downside of buying the biggest compressor you can buy is that if you are going to a mates place to paint his ride its a bitch to load in my old FC van .
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »

I looked for ages,after speaking to painters etc.
bunnings had one that would almost cope much like that second one you posted.
i was going to buy it, then thought  would check gumtree,
ended up buying one second hand twice the size and cfm for cheaper.
boc brand too so i know i can get  parts.
been going perfect for years

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »

The prep. solution you get with the fuel tank lining kits [rust blast ] will flush your air tank ,then just change your oil and filters regularly .
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »

Bought a Millers Falls 100l 3hp 13cfm quoted. 10A plug but rated 13.5A. $699+freight from Melbourne. Cheap and cheerful. The manifold and outlets look a bit fragile, or cast in god knows where in other words. Three cylinder belt drive. eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: