FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wiper conversion  (Read 7576 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »

morning all ..I have a Delco wiper motor 7418348 single speed ..I wish to convert my FC to ..Vacuum doesn't work ...I have couple questions ..
1. what switch do I use ?...
2. does existing under dash rods fit ?
3. does this motor automatically "park" the wipers when turned off .
 some one who has done this conversion could outline the procedure and tips on what to do or NOT do would be greatly received .THX

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »

I assume your Delco motor is from an EK, interchangeable with the Preslite motor. I used a Preslite motor from an EK in my wife’s 225 FC many years ago, together with the EK switch and crank. As I recall it bolted straight up to the FC vacuum motor mounts and actuator arms. The outer crank used a spring clip to retain the arm and these can be hard to come by. Being a small part they tend to get lost.

As long as the crank has not been removed from the drive shaft the wipers should self park correctly straight up. If not it is just a matter of correctly indexing the crank on the shaft by trial and error.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Thanks Clay  ..Your the guy I got the striker plate from ..THX its great ..waiting to be cleaned up and stored for when re assembly of car starts ..
THX for info on electric wipers ..Any info on switch ..I haven't looked behind the dash yet ..I am assuming the vacuum switch on dash just wouldn't double up for electric ..Vern

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »

Vern
I have used switch from HR only because it has an additional push switch for electric washers. All you need is on /off path to earth so EK or later switch or after market toggle etc.
Cheers
Clay

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »

Clay, the Delco motor has a screw on primary crank so it automatically lines up correctly. The driver's side internal wiper arm goes between the second short arm and the primary crank and is held together with a small nut.
The passenger side arm is then attached and the press on clip retains it.
EK To HR switch will work and all will allow the use of the original wiper knob or can utilise washers with a bit of customisation.
There is an earth strap on the Delco motor which must be earthed through a mounting screw to enable the motor to park correctly. If the motor won't park then the earth is not good.

Most important is that you have the primary crank AND the secondary arm with your wiper motor
Ken
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »

Thanks for refreshing my memory there Ken. It was 1990 I did it and the motor came from an army FB ute with a broken back at Wallaroo Mines SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »

THX Ken and Clay ...I will track down a EK switch  ..I don't have the secondary crank ,the old wreck it came from is still in the paddock ,bit of luck its still on the arm ..Vern

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »

I have seen a thread here or on fb ek site fairly recently where secondary crank was fabricated from scratch if you don’t find one Vern.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »

I have a secondary crank and clip that I am willing to sell if you can't find one.

Ken
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:04 AM »

Thanks Ken ..Pls put that secondary crank and pin aside with my name on it ..The spares car is about hour away from me ,I cant go this week ..Ill go as soon as I can and get back to you ..When I bought the sedan ,it came with a wagon as well,the deal is I can take mechanical parts ,but NOT body parts, and I have to get permission to enter the property as the owner supervises I don't "help myself "..I wouldn't ,really don't know each other .. .But I have to fit in with his work time .He also has several other vehicles ,some he would not show me ,what he did show me really nice LJ XU1 ...HQ Monaro ..regards Vern

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »

Gents ..Have retrieved the secondary crank from the spares car , ( advised Ken ) thanks for the offer of one Ken ..It was still just hanging there in the arm under the dash ..Have found a nut and spring clip in my pile of bits ..Have got a NOS switch from a Austin A55 which will fit dash nicely and the Holden knob will go on nicely also ..Vern

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 09:51:14 AM »

You’re set Vern 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »
+1

Here is something I found just the other day when relocating my Daughter from one rental to another . The spring clip that you need for holding the wiper arms on ,you know the one you lose under the floor mat , you can find the same clip on some office chairs holding the bottom section with the wheels on to the gas cylinder. Just thought that might be helpful to someone .
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »

That’s gold Haydn. Those clips have been considered rare for a long time.
Cheers
Clay

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »

Only a Holden nut would be helping his daughter move house and check out the furniture for bits for his car ,must tell my daughter to have sympathy for me ,I'm not the only bloke who raids her car/furniture for bits ..On a serious note ,the clip I am going to use is like a external circlip , not the type with holes in the ends you use circlip pliers ,the type that has three little lugs internally ,you line it up in the groove ,push ,and it stretches and springs on ,seems fine ,has nice flat surface to keep arm true whilst in operation..I am going into all this as its mentioned a wire clip ,original equipment must have been like a "R" clip ?

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »

Seriously mate the clip you will find on the Ikea office chairs are an exact copy of the original R clip that I have dropped and lost under hundreds of early Holden floor mats . If I was up to speed on how to post photos I would show everybody ,and yeah ,I am an absolute car nut and have had an FE or a FC or some of both for nearly 50 years .
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »

On a serious note , there are so many wiper combinations you can try with varying success and I have tried most . If you are like me you will disregard the original equipment and take a look at some of the English options . Some of the Morris type setups have the same spline on the wiper arms and have a flexible drive inside a steal outer and can be installed totally hidden under dash . I have this set up on a Vauxhall with modified [shortened] Holden wiper arms set up with a rheostat to vary the speed and have also rebuilt a similar wiper motor for my sons Triumph TR7 . I am aware that you can pay big dollars for repro's from the hotrod shops but that's not what I do ,and if you stay with the English versions you will have the correct spline and be able to use the better English chrome and superior wiper arms .   
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 07:51:59 AM »

Hi ..Yes there are lots of options ,Im happy with the EK Nasco electric motor .. I have a British touch ,as stated before ,the switch is from Austin A55 ,fits perfect ,the hex on the shaft for FC button is exact same size ,straight forward push/pull ..cheers Vern

my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 07:55:15 AM »

I have tried to post images with out success ,by skills are limited ,I note like you ,other people have difficulty also ..I usually get some ones mobile and send that way .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: