FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:22:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC ignition wiring  (Read 4557 times)
Wdobby

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:07:48 PM »

Does anyone have an ignition wiring diagram for an FC sedan. My wife’s FC was running a little rough on longer runs so I gave the plugs and points a clean. Afterwards the engine cranks but won’t fire. Pulled a plug, no spark, tried direct for the coil, no spark.Replaced the coil but still no spark. I think I may have disturbed some of the wiring while I had the dizzy cap off?

Thanks,
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:16:49 PM »

Does anyone have an ignition wiring diagram for an FC sedan. My wife’s FC was running a little rough on longer runs so I gave the plugs and points a clean. Afterwards the engine cranks but won’t fire. Pulled a plug, no spark, tried direct for the coil, no spark.Replaced the coil but still no spark. I think I may have disturbed some of the wiring while I had the dizzy cap off?

Thanks,
Wayne

Have you got power to the coil from the ignition switch??

Better in Green
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »

Thanks,
Wayne

Here you go, me ol’ fruit, from two different sources.

Cheers,

John

Wdobby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »

Have you got power to the coil from the ignition switch??

Hi Maco, yep I have a black wire coming from the ignition which is live with 12V with the key on to the positive terminal on the coil. And a red wire from the dizzy to the negative terminal on the coil that seems to get about 44mv on it. Thanks, Wayne

Wdobby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »

Here you go, me ol’ fruit, from two different sources.

Cheers,

John

Thanks John! Taking a peak now to see if I can spot any issues.

Wdobby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »

Can’t see anything obvious. Guess I’ll change the points and condenser but I thought I should get a spark out of the coil regardless? Any ideas of anything else I should be looking at?

Wdobby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

Thanks John! Taking a peak now to see if I can spot any issues.

John, these diagrams are quite different. The first more detailed diagram seems to resemble the wife’s car, so I assume it’s correct for her car. Are they different years or models or something? I’ll hang on to the other anyway just in case. Thanks Wayne

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:31:27 PM »

Take distributor cap off and rotate engine by hand. You should see a spark from the points. If no spark then do a swap with another coil.

Ken
59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 01:27:08 AM »

John, these diagrams are quite different. The first more detailed diagram seems to resemble the wife’s car, so I assume it’s correct for her car. Are they different years or models or something? I’ll hang on to the other anyway just in case. Thanks Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I've compared both diagrams with respect to wiring for the battery, generator, regulator, starter motor and solenoid, coil, distributor and ignition switch - and they appear the same to me.  Which bits did you find different?

I know there are differences such as the horn setup (one vs two horns) and indicator lights for different models (and possibly other differences), but I think the ignition side of things is the same.  I stand to be corrected, though.

Cheers,

John
Wdobby

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:08:13 AM »

Hi Wayne,

I've compared both diagrams with respect to wiring for the battery, generator, regulator, starter motor and solenoid, coil, distributor and ignition switch - and they appear the same to me.  Which bits did you find different?

I know there are differences such as the horn setup (one vs two horns) and indicator lights for different models (and possibly other differences), but I think the ignition side of things is the same.  I stand to be corrected, though.

Cheers,

John

Hey John

Might be my interpretation but second diagram seemed to show more connections to the coil than the first one (e.g. connection to battery). Mine seemed in line with the first one with only two wires and the dizzy lead.

Ta,
Wayne

59wagon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:53:29 AM »

Might be my interpretation but second diagram seemed to show more connections to the coil than the first one (e.g. connection to battery). Mine seemed in line with the first one with only two wires and the dizzy lead.
Sorry mate, but you’ve lost me. Both diagrams show just the one pink (+ve) lead going to the coil and one black lead (-ve) going from the coil to the dizzy. The first diagram also shows the ht, or secondary coil, lead going from the coil to dizzy. There’s no battery connection direct to the coil. The circuit is: battery to starter motor solenoid to ignition switch to coil to dizzy.
Cheers,
John
Professor Grey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »

With standard wiring, there are only 2 wires on the coil.
One comes from the ignition switch (terminal marked IGN on the switch).
The other wire goes to the distributor (points).
There should be no connection from battery to coil other than through the switch.

The test for no spark at the points as written by Ken is correct but may also indicate a faulty condenser.

cheers,
Prof.

You don't get this old by accident.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: