FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Where to Start?  (Read 3575 times)
Rocket060

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

Hi All

I'm a newbie to this forum and looking for some direction.  I'm recently retired and looking for a project / hobby and decided on getting a FC.

While I'm searching for a car I 'm starting to set my garage up.  What tools are considered essential apart from the usual spanners & screw drivers.?

I haven't played around with cars for over 40 years but I'm familiar with basic mechanics and electricals. Bodywork, not so much.  Any suggestions where can I go to learn how to cut out rust, weld & paint.

Any other tips to get started would be appreciated.

Rod
Billy Blackarrow

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »

Hi Rod
     I went to tafe here in Newcastle  to learn to weld but I enrolled in a general welding coarse but should have enrolled in a body building coarse however the teachers took pitty on me and my age a realised that I was doing up a car and showed me how to weld thin metal and set tasks especially for me. ( still can't weld very well )

BILLY BLACKARROW
VAN059

Model: FC

Brisbane, QLD.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:09 AM »

Welcome aboard Rocket,

Google is always good for viewing how things should, and shouldn't be done.

But I've found this forum to be the best source of knowledge, inspiration and assistance you could ever ask for.

Cheers
Marc

Smokin Words and Shoutin Turds
Rocket060

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »

Hi Rod
     I went to tafe here in Newcastle  to learn to weld but I enrolled in a general welding coarse but should have enrolled in a body building coarse however the teachers took pitty on me and my age a realised that I was doing up a car and showed me how to weld thin metal and set tasks especially for me. ( still can't weld very well )

Thanks Billy, Just checked out a "Vehicle Restoration & Body Fabrication" course at Kangan TAFE in Melbourne.  Seems like a good place to start.
Rocket060

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »

Welcome aboard Rocket,

Google is always good for viewing how things should, and shouldn't be done.

But I've found this forum to be the best source of knowledge, inspiration and assistance you could ever ask for.

Cheers
Marc

Hey Marc

Agree with the your comments about the forum.  I've learned a bit already will going through a number of posts.

Rod
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »

Rod,
The TAFE course looks good as a starting point. As a welder I can tell you that rust removal in a car is one job I really don't care much for. Learning techniques & how to use the appropriate tools will help you prepare things correctly & have a far greater chance of getting it right the first time. You may not learn to weld well but you will know some basics to help with your approach. I know very little about painting but preparing a car under guidance years ago helped me learn about & appreciate the trade. There's a ton of knowledge on here & some very cleaver people keen to see you succeed. Enjoy.

Dave
0417 270 315
Rocket060

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »

Rod,
The TAFE course looks good as a starting point. As a welder I can tell you that rust removal in a car is one job I really don't care much for. Learning techniques & how to use the appropriate tools will help you prepare things correctly & have a far greater chance of getting it right the first time. You may not learn to weld well but you will know some basics to help with your approach. I know very little about painting but preparing a car under guidance years ago helped me learn about & appreciate the trade. There's a ton of knowledge on here & some very cleaver people keen to see you succeed. Enjoy.

Thanks Dave.

I'm keen to have a go at most jobs but fully anticipate some are best left to the professionals.  Painting will probably be one of those but who know until I have a go.  Worst case is I have to sand back my effort.

Rod
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »

I have been welding [all methods] since very young so I cant really comment too much except to say that as with painting ,cleanliness is paramount . One thing life has taught me is that its never too late to learn and that if you have a real interest in a subject you will become competent at it . A preacher once asked me to explain wisdom and the next time I saw him I told him ..."Wisdom is the time to understand". So You have come to the right forum to gather all the answers to any problems you may have and we are happy to help .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: