FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:57:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Over-tightening Nuts on diff [emoji1304]  (Read 2642 times)
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »

Hey all- I made another rookie mistake today tightening one Axle Housing Nut whilst putting the differential carrier back on to the rear axle housing assembly.
The sad fact is I was using a torque wrench- unfortunately I had it set way too tight (misreading it)
 but unknown to me I kept tightening thinking "it's sure to click... just got to.. budge a bit more.." and then of course the thread stripped and came loose. Once I eventually figured out the correct setting I tightened all the other nuts up to the correct setting (30-40 ft lb) but I remain unsure on what I should do with the now problem bolt..

Pretty embarrassing but, can you fine gentlemen help me out with some advice please?

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »

The axle housing bolt is splined into the rear axle housing.  You can bash the stripped one out with a hammer.
You'll have to raid another rear axle housing for a replacement bolt (wind a nut down onto the bolt for the full depth of the thread, then use a brass drift and hammer to drive the bolt out, and then undo the nut).
To install the replacement bolt, use a nut to draw it into position.

Some generous soul on the forum will no doubt have a spare rear axle bolt.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »

Thanks Rob! I have a spare rear axle here, so getting a new bolt is no worries.. but won't be replacement bolt spin/ turn when it's in its new position? 

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »

Disregard the last post.. the original bolt was Indeed stripped. Replacement bolt is pulled out of spare diff and I'll have it back in place when I get a chance and I'm pretty confident I'll be back on track. Thanks for your help!

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:04 PM »

And just like that the problem is solved, man this forum is a wonderful thing! Thanks for your help Rob 👍🏻

Adam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: