FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:29:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Water Temp Gauge  (Read 3092 times)
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »

Looking back through some discussions on fitting a temp sender I think I'm stuck with using the hole that's currently taken by the idiot light.
Re: Water temperature sensor
It's an FB engine number but there's only one hole at the back. The lower thermostat housings had the 3/8” plug & it's used for the heater return hose.
I've seen some wild options on UTube ......... not easy to look at.
Is there a suitable alternative for the idiot light? Any advice appreciated.

Dave
0417 270 315
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »

Hi Dave  I was faced with the same problem.  When I needed to replace the valve guide seals and put hardened exhaust valve seats I found an FB head to use.  I had an early 60,s non working Smiths temperature gauge.  Sent it to Melbourne to repair and calibrate then installed it where the sender lives and seeing that I had the plug in the front of the head I decided to put the sender there and reconnect connect the idiot light.  I had seriously thought about not using the idiot light.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:19:56 AM »

a) Drill and tap another hole in the thermostat housing.
b) Buy an SAAS ally fitting from SuperCheap.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=speco+sender+adaptor&rlz=1C1GGRV_en__751__751&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-6NyLp93YAhWMxrwKHSJTBYkQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=735&dpr=1.25#imgrc=gbeWjQueC48WKM:
It is essentially an ally pipe with a hole tapped in the middle for threaded senders. Cut the top radiator hose, and use two hose clamps and the fitting to rejoin the hose.

Cheers,
Harv
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:31:04 PM »

As you guys know ,I have a couple of old Vauxhall hotrods with V6 engines . What you may not know is that I run the 4 cylinder petrol Hilux radiators in both . I use a different thermostat, and what I have done to idiot proof my cooling system is to use a in the radiator hose adjustable thermo switch wired to a light up toggle switch [earth] and then to the computer . In this way I can over ride the thermos switch and signal the computer to turn on the thermo fan  , or I can see if the adjustable switch turns on ,or I can see if the original temp sensor turns the fans on . I guess what I am trying to say is if you were to wire your standard idiot light to one of these adjustable switches positioned say, in your radiator hose then you could set it as sensitive[cool] as you like and you would have no need for a temp gauge . The problem with the old idiot light was it tended to turn on too late . Anyway its a thought . 
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »

That is a clever idea Hayden. How about a blue light for when it’s running cold like on my forrester?
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:04:36 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. I now have a few more options to consider until I need to remove the head & replace it like Keith did.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: