FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Leaking Grey Rocker Cover  (Read 3124 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

Can anyone advise the tricks in getting a rocker cover to seal please? It sits flat on a level surface so I don't think it's been over-tightened in the past.
Leaks out of the left rear corner and it makes a mess.  Undecided Undecided

I'm thinking of using a gasket sealant (Permatex #2....non-hardening) but am open to any suggestions. In particular, how tight and in what sequence do you do up the two castle nuts??
Thanks & cheers. Ken
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:43 PM »

I had the same problem when I changed to an alloy cover. It leaked in the same place. I was told it wasn't that unusual but to first check the mating surfaces were thoroughly clean. I ran a large flat file over the cover surface in several directions also to be sure there were no burs or high spots. I used a non-hardening sealant too (Dow Corning in my case). I don't know the ideal torque setting for the nuts or if the sequence matters. I did the nuts up as far as I could by hand, then alternated with a spanner until they both felt firm. No more leaks.

Dave
0417 270 315
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 08:19:15 PM »

I solved this issue on my blue motor by using a neoprene gasket. Wonder if these are available for the grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

Ken,

When a rocker cover's been over-tightened, the sides bulge out, and the holes in the top are forced downwards.  To correct the bulgy sides, use a vice.  To push the stud holes back out to their normal position, it's best to use a sand bag, and a 3/4" to 7/8" socket and extension.  Put the rocker cover upside down on the sandbag, put the socket and extension over the bit where the grommet sits, and give it a good whack with a knockometer.  The hole in the cover where the grommet sits should be about flush with the rest of the rocker cover, when viewed from the side.

The rocker cover nuts should be tightened down so they're flush with the top of the studs.  That's with an undistorted rocker cover and the earlier, taller (FX-FC) rocker cover nuts.  I find that with a new gasket, the rocker cover seals perfectly - as long as the gasket is eased down around the rearmost and frontmost head bolts, and the nuts are not overtightened.

Have you checked your rocker cover for cracks?

In what condition is your oil filler cap gasket?  Oil leaking from around the filler cap gasket runs down into the grooves at the sides of the rocker cover, then back to the rear of the rocker cover, where it mimics a leaking rocker cover gasket perfectly.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:33 AM »

Thanks everyone.

I've never seen anything other than cork gaskets Errol - neoprene could be a better alternative though.

Rob & DJ, I will make those checks on the cover. Good advice. Filler cap is fine btw. New gasket and sealing well.

Thanks again. Cheers, Ken  Wink
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »

The neoprene ones are reusable Ken. Handy if you’re fiddling with valve clearances. Having said that I don’t know if you can still get them.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: