FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:56:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator dramas  (Read 3286 times)
Wilcey

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »

Hi all, I took my FC for a drive down to Canberra yesterday, made to right through to goulburn until my alternator decided to start throwing out 19volts, thus blowing up the battery and stereo. I have bought a brand new Bosch alternator but still there is no gen light coming on the dash, and the engine immediately stops if the battery is disconnected. Any idea what could be going on?

I appreciate any help as I am currently stuck in Canberra and need to make it home asap.

Wilcey

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Suspect regulator? Recent posts on here have a 👀.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wilcey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »

Would this be the regulator in question?

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

Ah yes that looks like a solid state job. They don't generally fail. The other posts were about original generator system sorry.

More likely you have a wiring fault. Possibly caused by the alt shitting itself. Have you checked the gen light globe to see it's not been blown like your stereo?
Taking out the battery causing loss of power to the coil also sounds like a wiring issue. Get a multimeter and check if the battery is charging. Those regs should be cheap and easy to get hold of so maybe worth swapping.
Must be someone on here knows more about autoelectrickery than me. Good luck.
Clay

Wilcey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:03:01 PM »

Ah yes that looks like a solid state job. They don't generally fail. The other posts were about original generator system sorry.

More likely you have a wiring fault. Possibly caused by the alt shitting itself. Have you checked the gen light globe to see it's not been blown like your stereo?
Taking out the battery causing loss of power to the coil also sounds like a wiring issue. Get a multimeter and check if the battery is charging. Those regs should be cheap and easy to get hold of so maybe worth swapping.
Must be someone on here knows more about autoelectrickery than me. Good luck.
Clay

Thanks Clay, the gen light it's still fine after looking at it. I'm guessing the surge of power has buggered up a wiring connection somewhere. As the wiring on my car is very old and has had bits added and removed over the last 50 years it's hard to work out what's going on. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know!!

Thanks
James

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »

If you need to get home, and home is less than three hours away, drive the car home on the battery: Unplug the two-pin plug at the back of the alternator.  Just try not to use your headlights.

The HK shop manual lists bad connection between regulator case and ground as a cause of overcharging.  Check that the mounting screws are clean and tight.

Disconnecting the battery while the engine's running on an alternator-equipped car is verboten, so I'm not surprised it stalled.

If you have an overvoltage problem, it's because the field terminal (DF) is "stuck" to the alternator's B+ terminal.  You may have an internal short in the regulator (unlikely), or the field wire and the B+ wire in the wiring harness may have shorted together.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: