FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 17, 2024, 04:27:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dakota Digital Gauges  (Read 7548 times)
pop

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »

Hi guys, I'm searching around for a set of digital analog gauges, and set that l like are Dakota digital analog 57 Chev VHX series.
    The problem is that there advertise the diameter of the speedo gauge as 6.25in and l think, just to big for me for the fc dash.
     I've also looked at classic instruments, there gauge is 4 5/8in but l don't like the face set up, Auto-meter has a 3 3/8 speedo,
     but the face is to small for what l want, and yes, l do realize that bezels are different sizes, and l can spin my own.

What I'm trying to find is....and l know it's probably impossible, without custom order,.... $$$$

1.4 5/8 to 5'' with half sweep speedo at top, with tacho & fuel at the bottom, and a gear selector etc. readout in the middle
          with warring lights.
      2. 2 1/16 oil gauge plus a 2 1/16 temp gauge

So my questions are.....

1. Has anyone used this dakota digital 57 set up or any other gauges from them, if so, how'd they fit? Any problems?
      2. Actual gauge sizes & cut out without bezel
      3. What other digital analog gauges are everyone else using?
      4. Any other idea's and pic's would be greatly appreciated, and I'm really trying hard to  keep a bit of originality

In advance, thanks to every ones comments........pop.

pop

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »

hi guys,
    would like to give ya's an update,
      After talking to Dak/dig they asked me send my dash pannel and they mite be able to do somthing.....usa sorry, and arrogant.
      Autometer wasn't as bad, they have an online customshop, which is great, for sorting out the look, colors, pointers, bezels, font, etc.
      problem was that they couldn't change the speedo size, even though they advertise it else where. After emails etc, please try again.....
      Plus they could not add warning lights, turn signals or high beam which means more clutter and wiring, more $$$ etc.
      So...After months of brain drain, Classic Instruments have all the above, nearly, just trying to change the dial face colors at the moment.
      And Yes..There going to cost a hell of a lot. But compered to rest of the build it will be worth it.

Thanks for everyone looken, but this mite help someone else.
               Cheers POP.

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »

Good to see you got a result in the end.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »

Hi POP are you getting the oil gauge and amps gauge done as well? Will the speedo be in km/hour?

Would love to have an estimate of what you are paying.

Great stuff thanks for posting.

Regards

Wayne b
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:41 PM »

Hi Pop, have you looked at the VHX1016 series gauges? I am in the process of modifying my dash to fit the unit in and still have the switches in place all be it in vertical rather than horizontal layout.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
pop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »

G'day guys, a bit more
     Thanks to everyone for looking and your replies. To start... thank you Seb. Wayne b yes & yes to your questions. Jim, they are the the first ones that I looked at, but after blowing up the image to full size and laying it on my dash, plus no warning lights, they wher'nt for me. That's when I went hunting, as above.
      So this is what I came up with from Classic Insturments.  Hot Rod Series gauges.
      4 5/8 combo Speedtachular HR50SLF + extra KPH, with turn, high beam + extra LEDHTH, plus speedo sending unit extra SN16C
    The other 2 1/8 gauges are full sweep and have built in warning lights, that light the gauge red when somethings wrong. Plus senders
      Fuel HR109SLF ( programmable)
      WaterTemp HR126SLF
      Oil HR181SLF
      Volts HR130SLF
    With all upgrades, plus red pointers, burgundy ring and postage.......sit down,   $2500.00
    But with all the new Customs Import Duties, US Dollar etc. & not have a cluttered dash, I'm Happy.
    There is a standard kit without all the bells & whistles HR65SLF approx $1350.00

Thanks again guys, any other questions or info, would be glad to help if I can.
       Regards  POP.

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 01:21:11 PM »

Hi POP any photo's yet?

Regards

Wayne b
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:46:43 AM »

I used Dakota Digital Gauges in my Modified ute.  I modified the dash panel to suit the gauge sizes they offer. I extended the LHS of the panel so that the gauges sat in front of the Driver [to fit well with the Bluebird column I used].  The digital gauges need to be recessed into the dash panel, extra tinting on windows & a front sun- visor,[if you can find one], so that you can read them during daylight hours. They are clearly visible @ night etc. Would I use them again? NO WAY!!   It took 8 months to get the dash panel back from the USA. John Rapinette fitted excellent gauges to his Modified Sedan, which look the part & ones I would have used , with the vision of that great commodity called "Hindsight". Good luck with your decision. Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »

Some of these problems just need some thought and a little talent and they are solvable . I know I sound arrogant .I am just saying that I have been around for quite a while and have seen a few tricks .
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »

Oops!  After slapping myself on the wrist, no further comment required. 

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »

I used Speedhut gauges in my EK Ute project not cheap but they have a great range and are customisable.
Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: