FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:20:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: grey motor knock  (Read 5111 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

My fc has a stock grey motor which has an annoying knock /rattle at idling speed,the motor uses no oil,starts  and runs perfect ,good acceleration 27 miles per gallon. the common theory from people who have heard it is ,gudgeon or piston slap, my question is  ,would it be a possibility to fix the noise without a complete engine rebuild considering the overall condition of the motor .the knock stops when the revs are increased to a little over idle speed .opinions please .cheers Steve . Smiley

Sale Victioria
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »

You really need to take the head and sump off so you can pop the slugs out either way. If the comp is good which by the sounds it probably is then just replace gudgeons and bearings. Resize rods I don't know maybe. Seals and gaskets you're done. If the rear seal is good I would probably leave the main bearings alone and maybe just do big ends I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Blackarrow

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »

Steve
I would turn up the radio and idle speed  Wink Wink I know i am an idiot
Billy

BILLY BLACKARROW
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »

It is possible that it is the "standard" grey engine gudgeon pin rattle which is noticeable at idle.  If the motor has done quite a few miles since it has been worked on this could well be the case.  My motor with 55000 miles on it is original and exhibits a little gudgeon knock at idle.  I am not worrying about it.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »

Steve,

It's neither piston slap nor gudgeon pin noise.  I reckon your harmonic balancer has had it.
Take your fan belt off, start the motor and let it idle.  It should be quiet.

Are there any rusty marks around the rivets on the harmonic balancer hub?  As another check, with the fan belt off, grab the steel disc of the balancer in both hands and rotate it back and forth, while feeling for looseness.  Then do the same with the pulley.

My FX used to make an annoying, hard-to-pinpoint "nack-nack" sound at idle, much like a 186 with collapsed lifters.  The harmonic balancer pulley had come loose, but only slightly.

A loose camshaft timing gear also produces a similar noise.  I've had that happen too.  The easiest check for that is: take the distributor cap off, and turn the engine back and forth with the fan.  The distributor rotor should move back and forth in time with the movement of the crankshaft.  If there's any lost motion, where the crankshaft turns but the distributor rotor doesn't, you might have a loose camshaft timing gear.  To make a positive confirmation of this, you need to remove the fuel pump.  Take a screwdriver and pry on the side of the eccentric cam, first forwards, then backwards.  If the camshaft moves back and forward at all, you have timing gear or thrust washer problems.

But I'd go for the harmonic balancer first.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »

Steve,

And I forgot - excessive backlash in the timing gears can also produce these symptoms.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »

Have you checked oil pressure at idle?
Have you experimented with different grade oil and type, also any difference hot or cold engine.
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »

Thanks for your comments ,seems like will have to dismantle the motor to find what the cause is ,at the same time will fit steel timing gears that have been in the boot for a couple of years ,will post when I find the cause of the noise .cheers Steve Wink

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: