FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:38:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Holden FC rear main seal  (Read 5327 times)
JakesFC

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »

Fellas, my rear main has started to piss out at a hell of a rate. Just wondering, how easy is it on a scale of 1-10 to pull my gearbox out and do my rear main my self? She's a project in the shed. My dad passed away when I was 6 and I'm now 15, trying to get her registed.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 12:37:18 AM »

Hi Jake
It is pot luck trying to successfully fit new seal without removing the engine. Ideally you should remove the sump and crank. Suggest you check compression and assess the general state of health while engine is in the car and running. If top end appears healthy then you could get away with doing the seals and maybe replacing crank and big end bearings. Even then rear seals are finicky to get right. Otherwise you're up for a big spend or find another motor that doesn't leak too much.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »

I'd say that's a massive Job for a 15 year old.

JakesFC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »

The whole engine had been refurbished in terms of push rods, pistons, cam, rockers. I just don't have access to an engine crane and would make a worlds difference if I did. I just can't take her down the the shop because she doesn't have rego. Is it possible to just jack her up, drop the gearbox out and just replace it in car?
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 12:55:03 PM »

If you take the box out, sump off and loosen the bearing caps it is possible to remove the rear main cap, prise out the top of the seal and replace. Bolt every thing back torquing to specs job done.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »

Do a google search on "Holden grey motor rear main seal" and read a thread on the FB EK forum. Fitting the rope type rear main seal is a tricky business and doing upside down while the engine is in the car is very difficult in my opinion.

Ken
VAN059

Brisbane, QLD.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 02:15:15 PM »

Where you located Jake?

I've got engine crane, engine stand etc, if you're local you're welcome to use.

Cheers

Smokin Words and Shoutin Turds
JakesFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »

I'm located in Newcastle van. My dad left the tools for me to be able to take the box and sump off. I've got the time to do it and it's not like she's going anywhere

Cheers, jake
Boothy

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 07:04:23 PM »

Yes I'm a Kiwi living in NZ and have an FE 57 Sedan
Can any of you guys tell me if anybody makes new front Guards
or even makes them in Fibre glass.
I have from what I've been told,  the first model outside Aussie to be assembled in wellington NZ. 57 Fe which was  No 57 off the assembly line.
Here they are rear and this one is almost rust free, bar the front guards.
She's a 2 owner with matching No grey motor & done 58,000miles.
It sat in a shed for 19 years and was always shed stored in her life.
She had to stuck values which CRC fixed, put a battery in & new gas, turned her over
and started first pop.I drove her 600 Km's up to Hamilton and she never missed a beat and used no oil.
What a car, no diff whine, no gear box whine , just a dream to drive.
But now I've stripped her down and sand blasted her and found both guards full of dents and rust ! " bugger " Thus my question of new guards or Fibre glass ones
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 11:16:16 AM »

Jake,

I only just caught sight of this thread.

For your info, take a look at

Grey motor rear crank seal and Rear main bearing seal for Grey motor

It sounds to me like the rear main bearing oil seal has spun in the groove.  But eliminate all other possible oil leaks first.

The only feasible way of tackling a leaking rear main seal is to take the engine and gearbox out of the car.  Then you'll have to take the gearbox, clutch and flywheel off, and mount the engine in a stand.  Next, remove the distributor and fuel pump, rocker assemblies, pushrods and cam followers.  Remove harmonic balancer (you'll need a puller), and timing cover.  You may have to remove the Woodruff key from the crankshaft to take off the oil slinger in front of the crank gear.  The camshaft will need to be removed, but the only socket which will go through the holes in timing gear is a 1/4" drive 7/16 AF socket.  Now you can remove the front engine mount plate.

Tip the motor upside down, remove the sump.  Remove the oil pump and delivery pipe.  Finally, remove the main bearing caps and the big-end caps (mark them 1 to 6!), and you can lift the crank out.

When it comes time to replace the crankshaft, cut twelve ~100 mm lengths of 8 mm clear PVC tubing and push them down over over the big-end bolts so you don't ding the crankpins.  Probably a good idea also to push the pistons and conrods up into the cylinders as far as they will go, lay the crank into place, and then pull each piston and conrod down to meet their crankpins as you go.

As the others have said, replacing a rear main oil seal is a big undertaking.  It'd be best to find someone who's done the job before and can guide you safely around all the traps (and there are many of those).

Best of luck,

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: