FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: External Oil Filter and Engine Noise  (Read 1882 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2003, 04:34:39 AM »

I have been following with interest on another site with regards to dodgy oil filters and engine noise. The general thought is that some filters are lacking or have a poor valve to stop oil flowing back into the motor when stopped. This made some sense as it would take more time on start up for the oil to reach the tappets etc.

As shown from previous postings I am in the process of fitting an external filter (if I could get the damn bung out fro the side of the block), but I am not willing to do so if lack of oil to vital parts is going to occur in a relatively new reconditioned motor. I can't see that the oil would flow out of the top pipe (oil switch side) but it seems highly likely that it may from the bottom pipe of the filter.

Does this sound at all reasonable or should I have some type of one way valve fitted to the one or both sides of the oil filter.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated before I risk any damage.

Rod
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 05:51:51 AM »
+1

G'Day Rod
The external filter is a bypass filter and not a full flow unit,it is also feed via a restricted supply (The size of the hole which feeds the oil is minute). Lack of oil flow to the engine on start up is not affected to the degree of causing damage.
I have a filter fitted to my grey and the oil pressure just after start up goes from approx 12 psi to 24 psi while you watch the gauge, this is the filter refilling takes about four to five seconds. The oil a this stage is as cold as (-7C )in Canberra at the moment and all is fine with the oil department.
I would not fit non return valves as they really would serve no purpose,oil does not run up hill from the upper connection and a non return valve in bottom outlet would stop the filter all together (No Flow).
Hope this helps
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: