FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:07:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE SPECIAL  (Read 17144 times)
RP86

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »

So this is my new baby. She is a little rusty around the sills and has a different front panel which I have just realised is missing the chrome strip but I think she looks great.
This car has a bit of history in my family which is why I am going to put the time and effort into getting it back to its glory days. The car belonged to my father in-law who recently passed away. In fact it was the very first car he ever owned. It has been sitting in his garage for around 20-25 years covered with all sorts of garage paraphernalia like ping pong tables and surf boards.  He was always going to get it back up and running but never quite got the chance.

Here are some pics of the old girl in her current state in the garage and her on the way to my Dads workshop. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will get her up on the hoist and have a bit more of a look and see how much work we are in for.

From what I know the car was left outside for 6 or so years while the family was in the US on a posting so I can only assume that’s where most of the damage was done. The car is supposed to be Granite Grey over Castle Grey but the years have really changed those colours to make the roof look a weird blue and the body almost white. The trim is Cobweb Grey and Parchment Ivory and is in quite good nick except for the top of the back seat which will need to be re-done. There are a few dings in the chrome and obviously the missing strip on the blue panel (where can I find a new strip?). I have a spare engine and gearbox in the boot which is why it is sitting so low at the back.

I will get some more images next time I have a chance of the inside and sills because I will need as much help and advice as I can get as I don’t know much about cars as you can probably tell form this post. Lucky for me my Dad is a mechanic who has his own shop and is willing to help me out. Anything else I should be looking for?  I think I saw on another thread that there is an engine number which might give me a bit more info on the car?

FE225-1-4650M
Trim 236-709
Paint 256-7698
Paint 253-7700

Cheers RP

FE - Canberra, ACT
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »

Very nice pick up. It's good to have that family connection. I think it makes the effort just that bit more rewarding.
You're in the right place for expert advice from people who have completed some amazing builds and who are very willing help.
The Members' Completed FE-FC Projects holds a lot of information on builds from scratch - Members' Completed FE-FC Projects
Parts like the front spear can often be picked up here & on eBay or Gumtree.
Look forward to more photos & progress reports.

Dave
0417 270 315
pbh0069
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

good luck with your build, this is the place to get all the info you will need

just ask , there are plenty of very good people on here with experience that can point you in the right direction

cheers Phil. Grin
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:42:02 PM »

Excellent find, looks great. And I have to second what the other gentlemen said "This is the place for advice and help".  Great group of people on this forum so have some fun and can not wait to see all your posts and pictures.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »

If you have no luck locally, I'd be surprised if this bloke in Victoria doesn't have a mould for the front guard.
I've bought a few things from him, very obliging, photos sent first & post is no problem.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282193949274
0410 639 656 between 9am and 5pm

Dave
0417 270 315
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

Welcome to the forum RP and good luck with the build and any questions you have will certainly be answered by the very clever people on this forum.

Regards
Neil H
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the kind words. I managed to get the front spear from your bloke in Victoria, he was a great help!

So I now have the engine numbers if anyone can help with any info?

The one currently in the car which I believe is the original is L419082 and the spare that was in the boot is B260289 (using the website it seems this might be an engine from the FB-EK series?).

Will get some more shots soon. Currently looking for rust repair people in Canberra.

Cheers, RP
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:08:24 PM by RP86 » Logged

FE - Canberra, ACT
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of FE/FC Holdens .
The engine # L419082 was produced in very late January 1958.
The #B engine is as you describe an FB engine.
If you find the Vehicle Serial number which should be on the upper passenger fender skirt above the battery.(might be on the drivers side)
This number along with the body ID plate details that you have already supplied should be enough for the Guru's (Ken) to date it accurately.
Good luck with the build and keep asking questions and posting progress pictures. (We all like looking at pictures)  Grin

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »

I could not find the vehicle serial number on the either fender skirt but it looks to have been re-painted in a thick white paint so I am guessing it is hiding under there somewhere. My Dad has done a few things like clean out the carburettor and in the process of getting the fuel lines sorted and fuel tank dipped to clean it out completely.

Some more images of the interior and the rust. As you can see the top of the back seat is not in the best shape but it will be interesting to see how the rest will look after a bit of TLC. Found this large plastic bag I had not noticed before on the back seat and opened it up to find some new carpet which my father in-law must of got many years ago for the car.

Put her up on the hoist to get some shots of the rust from below. I am not sure how bad it is but if anyone can give me any idea that would be appreciated. I am still trying to find people in Canberra to get it sorted.
There is obviously still so much to do but at the moment it is like a new romance!

P.S. Sorry for the image spam.

FE - Canberra, ACT
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

Bottom of the A pillars, front and rear floors, under the radiator, sills. All the usual places. Basically it needs to be stripped down and blasted to expose all the bad stuff and then start from there. If you are not doing the rust repair yourself, you will get better quotes with a stripped and blasted car to work on.
It's no worse than the average car.

Hope this helps    Ken

RP86

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »

Any ideas where I might be able to find a Fuel & Vacuum Pump Kit? Can only see 1 available online but I am not sure what's a good price.

Thanks,
RP

FE - Canberra, ACT
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

classic carbies   queensland
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »

Thank you GMHwagoon! I gave them a call and they sorted me out quickly!!

Cheers!

FE - Canberra, ACT
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »
+1

Hi RP, great to see another wonderful car coming to Canberra. Are you aware of our club the FE - HR Holden owners club. Like you I got my car and came onto this forum. I wasnt aware of our local Canberra club but the wonderful guys on here got me sorted out in no time. Like your car, mine also needs a lot of work, much of which I have no idea about. The guys and gals in the club are a welcoming friendly bunch and are always willing to lend a hand or offer advice. Im probably way to slow and you have already been contacted by someone in the club. If not please consider.

Regards Rod (Tuggeranong)

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »

Hey Rod,

I have just got onto the website and had a look around. I will try and get a membership sorted out shortly. I can do with all the help and advice plus friendly faces I can get! Dad also owns a really nice HR so I can probably even persuade him to join up. Thanks for the heads up!

The FE had been living in Tuggeranong for the last 20 years and has now been moved to a much better life in the north of our great city!

FE - Canberra, ACT
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 07:14:08 AM »

Hi RP,
Good to see another one in Canberra.
Our next club meeting is next week, Thursday 10th November at the Raiders Club in Weston (the old Royals Rugby Club), commencing at about 8pm.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Graham
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »

Long time without posting.

After a long year of waiting the car has finally been loaded up on the back of a track and taken to its new home out in Bungendore for some much needed body work. Blasting, all rust repairs and a repray. I am thinking of leaving the interior for now as it might be a struggle to get anything done with the bank balance not looking great after all the above work. Does anyone have any recommendations for FE interior work? I’m on the hunt for a flash kit at this point in time but they seem harder to find than the loch ness monster. I will have some images of the car at each stage of the rebuild so I will get them up when I can. I’m looking forward to checking out all the beautiful cars at the Nationals and meeting some of you fine people.

Also still need to get my membership sorted to the ACT FE - HR Holden owners club!

FE - Canberra, ACT
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 06:37:10 AM »

Our club meeting is next week (Thursday 8th February).

We also have a garage run coming up on Sunday 25th Feb, which might be of some interest to you.

Cheers,
Graham
RP86

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »

I’m probably well over due for an update on the car so here is a quick one. The old girl is currently with the restorer and pulled apart. All mechanicals were taken out by Dad and myself and are at his garage to be rebuilt once the body is closer to completion. I went out on the weekend to pick up all the trim, seats, bumpers etc. from the restoration place. I forgot to take photos which is a bit annoying but the doors, bonnet and boot are all at the blasters now and once they return the body will be heading out there. We are going back to original colours of granite grey top with castle grey body. The Detroit flash strip will be granite grey also.
My list of required parts is growing by the day and currently sits at:

MECHANICAL
•   Fuel Tank (mine has a rust hole but may be reparable)
•   Fuel Tank Sender
•   Engine Mounts
•   Speedo Cable
•   FE Battery Cables

INTERIOR:
•   Full set (front and rear) FE Special seat covers to original pattern – the front seat is in great nick but the rear is not…. I guess if I am getting the rear seat redone I might as well get the front done.
•   Holden Seat Trim Set Upper & Lower – this is annoying as the one in the car was not too bad and in a nice grey colour with a silver strip but when I grabbed the seat to pull it out of the body it snapped and has a massive crack along the side, it is also missing a small piece from around the topside. The ones from rares looks like they are just black which is not ideal.
•   Scuff Plates (do both FE an FC plates fit? I heard the FC ones are better for not holding water?)
•   Rear Parcel Shelf
•   New roof lining (is this material available?) – mines in good nick except where is joins the rear window.
•   New flooring (carpet or rubber?)

RECHROMING – probably need to get the bonnet ornament done first and then possible a few parts on the bumpers…

Then there is the list of thing I want which I don’t ‘really’ need like the scratch plates for under the door handles, new bonnet bade insert emblem and many many other things…. These can wait I keep trying to tell myself.
The main thing is we are moving forward and I am still planning on having it completed by the end of the year. Once the body is blasted and we can see how much rust there actually is this might change!
RP

FE - Canberra, ACT
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »

There are some local Canberra businesses that can help with some of things you list.

For fuel tank (and radiator) cleaning & repairs I used Renner Radiators Fyshwick. He does a thorough job.
I bought a sender from Rare Spares at Mitchell (Speeds). They stock a huge range of parts now so it's worth checking their site for many things.

For my interior (seats, roof lining, parcel shelf etc), Glenn from this forum did a great job & posted the covers.
http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?action=profile;u=18

I've just been through the exercise of chasing the plastic side trims. I ended up going with new ones from Rare Spares as the originals I found were just too old & brittle to be serviceable. Painting new ones may be the better option. If you have the stainless moulds, guard them closely.

I didn't think scuff plates were different in FE/FC, but someone here will know for sure.

My rubber mats came from Obsolete Rubber Mats.  (03) 9317 8725
https://sites.google.com/site/obsoleterubber/Gallery/holden-rubber-mats

For chrome work, Electroplating Technologies at Queanbeyan has an excellent reputation.

Hope that helps get you started.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: